Thursday 27 June 2024

Thursday evening 27-06-24

Evening, everyone!
Apart from the pot pies, this evening has seen the last of the Slimming World Kitchen leftovers and now I have a week and a half of fending for myself - which I am glad about as I have a backlog of recipes I want to try!

Weigh day tomorrow - we will see, won't we?  Last week was a disaster (tell you about that tomorrow) so fingers crossed for this week.


And finally, an extra photo - about four inches long at time of photo.  I wonder if this will feature in next week's salads at some point.  It's growing very fast!
What I ate today:


Change of plan for breakfast.
This was new - I heard about 'cottage cheese wraps' via YouTube and wanted to give them a go - very SW friendly and plenty of protein as well but I really wasn't sure, partly because it sounded odd, partly because cottage cheese isn't a great favourite and partly because it involved turning the oven on for half an hour - so expensive.  However, someone had mentioned them in the lovely Slim Win group on Facebook and I was intrigued.
I thought I could try a slow cook in a pan on the hob which has to be better value than heating a whole oven, so I bought some cottage cheese last time I went shopping.
I'll post what I did at the bottom but I will say I was very pleasantly surprised.  It was certainly different in texture and surprisingly cheesy in flavour, filling and I will definitely make it again.
It worked in the pan and then under the grill to brown off the top a bit and, as you can see, I cooked some mushroom and tomatoes to go inside.
Syn free.

Moving on to lunch and a lot of leftovers.
The pitta filling (chicken, chickpeas and minty raita)  was all leftovers apart from the leaves (which were from my little pot of salad leaves).  The salad was partly leftovers and it was lovely.
I didn't use the whole of the chicken fillet so that's for tomorrow lunch.
I was really full so no dessert.
One healthy extra B for the pitta.

Later in I had an orange
And dinner was the very last portion (from the freezer) of the veg and chickpea bakev from the first SWK box.  It's definitely mellowed with freezing and, with some cheese melted on top, was simply delicious.  Must make that again.

One healthy extra A for cheese and one syn for salad cream.

Summary:
one healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
one syn
All the ones today!

My meal plans for tomorrow:

B:  fruit and yogurt

L:  egg, chicken and bacon Caesar salad; fruit
In other words, using some Caesar dressing and some croutons plus the usual!

D:  cheeseburger, chips and salad; fruit

Exercise:  a walk



Cottage cheese wrap

Ingredients to make one pan-shaped wrap
half a cup or 120g cottage cheese (any kind but I used fat free)
one medium egg
a scant one tsp stock powder
black pepper

I also used a pan with a lid.

Method.  
Measure the cottage cheese into a blender (or use a stick blender), add one medium egg and blend until smooth.
This is the basic recipe.
I also added some stock powder and black pepper for flavouring.

Heat a medium non-stick pan to lowish medium.  Spray with oil.  Pour in the batter and tilt the pan so it spreads to the edges.  Pop the lid on top and leave it to cook, shaking the pan now and again to prevent it sticking.
When it has set (fifteen to twenty minutes but check now and again, turn on the grill to between medium and high and pop the pan under the grill - this gives the top a bit of colour.
(I was careful with the heat first time - maybe the pan and grill could have been a little bit hotter at the end.)

Take the pan out of the grill and leave on the side for a short while (it's a bit fragile to start with but firms up), them turn the wrap out onto a plate - I had to turn the pan upside down and it fell out easily.
Fill with whatever savoury you want.  Enjoy.

It was tasty.  The texture was definitely different but it was OK

I am now wondering about using flavoured cottage cheese - pineapple, maybe, and going sweet.
Or using one of the savoury flavoured cottage cheeses.
I'll let you know,

What I do know is that it was filling, satisfying, tasty and kept me full for ages.   Win win all the way!

I didn't use any one YouTube video as a starting point, but if you want to see an original, just go into YouTube and search for 'cottage cheese wrap'.  There's plenty to choose from.

No comments:

Post a Comment