Monday 12 November 2018

Monday, 12-11-18

Good morning.

It was really nice to have a more traditional meal yesterday - a roast with pulled pork (no sauce, just lean pork), roasties, sprouts and mixed roasted parsnip and butternut squash.  No gravy but I've now found a syn free gravy recipe that sounds more than a little odd but - well, if you never try anything, you never learn, do you?

Today's plans:
B:  breakfast roll - bacon, egg, home made sausage and a wholemeal roll - lovely!
SW:  healthy extra B (the roll)

L:  beans on potato waffle, apple or orange
Much more frugal than breakfast
SW:  two syns for the waffle

D:  a recipe I found on t'internet - cheeseburger stuffed pepper, sprouts, maybe runner beans;  aromatic rice pudding
The main is a recipe I found online and it sounded good enough to want to try it.  The dessert is something I am having a go at - a syn free rice pudding - because sometimes you need something like that in the dark evenings and I have that Alpro coconut drink to use up.  It may work, it may be a disaster. 
I'll get back to you on both!
SW:  the cheese will be my healthy extra A and I might use a  bit more for a few syns too, seeing as I have some spare.  The coconut milk is part of my healthy extra A - just under half, in fact.

S:  fruit, maybe a yogurt

I got lucky yesterday.  I went to Morrison's for some dried kidney beans and a few other things and found some fillet steak very much reduced.  That will make me a lovely dinner at some point with SW chips and a salad so it is now in the freezer.  I'd have had it for dinner yesterday but I'd already thawed something else.

I had the first sprouts of the season yesterday - they were lovely!  I do like sprouts!

And I now have a bad of dried kidney beans cooking in the slow cooker after overnight soaking and a good boil up on the hob (extremely important for kidney beans).  I just have to do one more kind of bean now (haricot, maybe, or pinto) and I have a good selection in the freezer to mix and match for all sorts of dishes.

It's all go in my kitchen today!

6 comments:

  1. Mmm, I like sprouts too, especially roasted. I've made coconut rice pudding before, although I used some coconut cream that needed using up as it had been open in the fridge for several days, having used some in a curry, it was lovely. It's such a good idea to cook a whole bag of dried pulses at once isn't it, saves so much time later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better on the energy usage too although slow cookers are prety good anyway. It was what my mum always did so it seems natural to do a whole bag at a time.
      I've only just discovered roasted sprouts and I agree, they are lovely especially tossed witha bit of bacon or some shreds of ham (lean, of course)
      I think any coconut flavour will be very subtle but it won't hurt to give it a go. I'm sure it will be edible, anyway.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Could you have used apple sauce ( no sugar) to moisten your pork a little or would that have counted as syns?
    Congratulations on your continuing weight loss. I'm so glad you felt, “a million dollars” on Friday.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you cook fruit, you have to syn it. No, I don't get it either b ut never mind. It was actually very nice pork that copes well with not having any gravy.
      Thanks, Sue. It was a great feeling.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Is the gravy you're referring to the mushy pea one? I have seen that one but sounded very strange to me so very interested to read how it turns out when you make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one, except that I will add a bit of Marmite as I love Marmite in my gravy. It does sound weird, doesn't it, but worth giving it a go to see.
      xx

      Delete