Wednesday 21 November 2018

Recipe: SP friendly baked beans

At the moment, baked beans are allowed on SP days.  However, after Christmas their P(rotein) tag is going so, while they are still 'free', they won't be part of the SP range any more.

So I thought 'go on, have a go'.


I made these today and they are really tasty.  No, they don't have the convenience of opening a can and just heating them up but, personally, I think they taste nicer (but then maybe I would).

I thought I would make just one portion but actually it's enough for two (for me) so I'll have the rest with bacon and egg for breakfast.

Ingredients:
a small onion and half a pepper (red, yellow or orange), both prepped and finely chopped
2 bacon medallions (the lean part of back bacon), finely chopped
1/16tsp  (in other words, a goodly pinch) each of ground ginger, tikka spice, cinnamon and garlic salt
1/8 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tbsp vegetarian stock powder (Marigold, for me, is the best but you could use a crumbled cube)
100g cooked haricot beans
half a can of chopped tomatoes and 1/4 cans-worth of water
a good splash (to taste) of Lea and Parrins and soy sauce
1 tbsp tomato puree

Method.
(If using the oven, preheat to 180C)
In a small saucepan that can go in the oven, spray some oil, add the onion, pepper and bacon, stir well, cover and let it gently soften, stirring occasionally.

Turn up the heat a bit, add the spices and stir well while it sizzles.

Add the beans, the chopped tomatoes, the water, the stock powder, the Lea and Perrins, the soy sauce and the tomato puree.  Mix well and bring to a simmer.

Now you can either cover and keep it gently simmering for around 20 mins, stirring now and again and addind a bit more water if it seems to be drying out).
OR
pop on a lid (foil will do), bung it in the oven and let it bake for 20 mins.

Taste and season, if needed.  I found it wasn't but I don't like a lot of salt.

Enjoy.



2 comments:

  1. Looks really tasty, Joy. I love homemade baked beans.....although I do like the Branston ones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sooze. I just love baked beans! :-)
      xx

      Delete