Sunday 10 March 2019

Guest post: almost syn free raspberry or strawberry roulade

I'm moving into the sphere of 'real blogs' today with a guest post from my blogger friend, Eloise at This Is Sixty, a lovely general blog that I always look forward to reading.  Do take a look
I shall be making this roulade myself as soon as I get the opportunity as it looks simply wonderful - thanks.
Like me, Eloise does Slimming World and here's her recipe.


"Raspberry or strawberry Roulade: fat free, sugar free and flour free
2 Slimming World syns for the entire roulade!
Cuts into 5 decent size slices or 4 generous ones
Ingredients:
4 large eggs
3 teaspoons of baking powder
4 tablespoons of sweetener (I use Nativia, a 100% natural plant based sweetener which has a better taste than any containing artificial ingredients such as aspartame). Don't be tempted to cut the quantity or your roulade will taste omelette-like.
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
I small tub of Total 0% fat Greek yogurt (I find this tasted better than other brands)
Raspberries (ideally fresh. You can used drained, defrosted ones but will need to eat the roulade soon after making as it goes a bit soggy, whereas fresh ones will last until the following day) or strawberries.

Method
Separate the eggs and beat whites until stiff. Beat yolks with baking powder and sweetener mixing together really well.Add 1 teaspoon vanilla essence. Fold the yolk mixture gently into egg white. Spread over a parchment lined Swiss roll tin. Bake at 160-170 for approx 15 mins. It will puff up massively but deflates greatly once out of the oven. Test with skewer. Cool, remove from tin (I invert it onto a tray) and gently peel off paper. Spread with a small tub of 0% Total Greek yogurt and cover with fresh strawberries or raspberries, crushing them slightly to release a bit of juice. Carefully roll it up. Sometimes it cracks, sometimes not. If you want it to look a bit more posh sprinkle over some icing sugar before serving and place a line of fruit along the top. You can even melt a Freddo bar and drizzle the chocolate over it (add 5 syns to total). "





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind comments, Joy. The syns relate to the baking powder, but I've realised that following SW's ruling last year that granulated sweetener must be counted if used in a larger quantity, then if we were to eat the entire roulade (and truly, it would be too much even for someone with a big appetite) then we'd have to count the sweetener as syns. However, for a slice, we wouldn't need to. To anyoned who makes it - enjoy! I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many syns though - and fancy eating the whole lot. Phew.
      xx

      Delete