Thursday 14 March 2019

Recipe: syn free potato waffles

I do like potato waffles but the lowest syn ones you can buy are from Morrisons and are two syns each.  Having recently treated myself to a couple of silicon waffle moulds (a round one that turns out heart shaped waffles and a rectangular one that turns out - er - rectangular shapes waffles!), I though it can't be too difficult to make my own syn free potato waffles with the plus point of knowing what went into them.

And they only went and worked!  Woo hoo.
This is what I did.

Ingredients to make four waffles
300g mash (approx)
40g quark
1 egg
1/8 tsp mustard powder and the same of garlic puree
salt, white pepper, chopped chives (first picking from the garden)

Spray oil

Method.
Preheat the oven to 180C

In a bowl, tip in all the ingredients apart from the oil and mix it up well.  It makes a smooth paste, not a batter.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Placing it on an oven tray, lightly spray the inside of the waffle mould and brush the spray oil into all the corners and around the 'bumps'.
Share the mash mixture between the four waffle sections and spread it out evenly with a knife, making sure you get into the corners.
Like this.


Spray the top with a little oil and pop it in the oven for around half an hour, taking it out when the potato is nicely golden brown.

Flip the mould over so that the waffles come out, right way up, on the baking sheet and, if needed, pop them back in the oven for another five minutes or so.  I turned the oven off and just popped them into the residual heat for five minutes.

And here they are, done.  Lousy photo but tasty waffles.



That's one for breakfast with an egg on top . . .


. . . and three to wrap and freeze for other meals.  To reheat, I will just pop them into the toaster on the frozen bread setting.


So now I can have syn free potato waffles.  Next time, I will try adding some onion granules as well.  They'd be nice with some grated cheese added to the mix, either synned or as a healthy extra, or you could add some spice to pep them up.
Or, for me, I like a potato waffle with baked beans.
The only slight negative is that, on its own, the waffle is a tiny bit dry but the flavour and freshness more than balance that and it's nothing that a bit of sauce or an egg yolk wouldn't solve.  Or baked beans, of course!

I'm going to experiment!



12 comments:

  1. Wow, they look great, I've never seen those moulds before. I have waffle plates for my toastie maker, I think I'll attempt some potato waffles myself, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. Do let me know what you think. :-)
      It will be a lot quicker in an electrical appliance.
      xx

      Delete
  2. How come they are syn free? Potatoes are carbohydrate? Just curious. They look delicious and I've been looking for moulds to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SW isn't low carb and, while potatoes aren't speed foods, they are free foods, like pasta and rice. One has to apply commonsense to the amount you have, you see.
      Amazon has moulds.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you, they'd definitely be pointed on WW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different plans, different ways. They all work in their own way, I reckon.
      xx

      Delete
  4. What's quork? Lucky you having chives from the garden. Mine are still under a foot of snow and ice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quark is a very lot fat soft cheese. It has a kind of tangy flavour. I* never used to like it but I've found that Aldi's quark is OK so I'm looking for reasons to use it now!
      Being very 'young' the chives were a bit bland but did add something to the mix. Hopefully, yours will soone be released from their winter grave.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Quark is not a cheese to be eaten on it's own (at least I've never known anyone like it like that) but it's so useful in cooking, isn't it? It makes good crustless SW quiches, and mixed with a bit of cocoa powder (1 syn per teaspoon) and a bit of sweetener, it makes a good cake filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only just started using it really but yes, it seems to be used for quite a lot of different things.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Just ordered a silicone waffle maker. They look so good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them as much as I do!
      xx

      Delete