Monday 4 March 2019

Monday, 04-03-19

Good morning!

First of all, many thanks to everyone who made suggestions for a new, more applicable name for this blog; I'm grateful for such good ideas.  I shall have a ponder over it all now.

I will be back home this morning and the freezer challenge begins!  However, I HAVE to have something kitchen based to engage me so I'm gong to have another go ay sourdough, following the fantastic instructions posted by Sooze in her blog.
Here's a link to the third of three - just track back for the other two.
https://herinfoodblog.blogspot.com/2019/02/sourdough-tutorial-part-3-picture-heavy.html

I'll start by getting the starter started (!!!) today and nurse it oh, so carefully, using Sooze's guidance.  I want my bread to be wholemeal because that's the Slimming World way so that's the flourI will use.  Watch this space and thanks, Sooze.

Today's freezer challenge plans:
B:  yogurt and fruit
SW:  free

L:  tomato and orzo soup with bread to dunk (perhaps)
From the freezer.  This was a magazine recipe so, in a way, that is continuing into this challenge.
SW:   if I have some dunking bread, that will be my B

D:  beef casserole, cheesy mash, sprouts, runner beans and broccoli
The casserole and the runner beans are from the freezer.  The beans are from the garden last year so it's about time they were used up.  I haven't had cheesy mash for ages and am looking forward to it.  I cook and mash some potatoes, then gently mix in some finely grated cheese so it doesn't go gloopy (and maybe some herbs or a pinch of mustard powder as well) and then pop it under a medium grill to brown off and reheat.
SW:  the cheese in the mash will be my As and I might thicken the casserole gravy with some thickening granules at one syn for a level tsp.  I always use thickening granules - much easier than a roux or a beurre marnier and much, much more SW friendly.

Ss:  some fruit if needed.



8 comments:

  1. Wow, I hope if people do follow my instructions, that it is successful for them - I just put what I do, and so far it has been successful for me. I fully expect it not to be successful all the time though....that's the nature of sourdough, it's not precise or predictable! Years ago when I used to make sourdough regularly, it wasn't always fabulous then. I hope it works for you, Joy. And thank you for the mention and your confidence in me, very kind of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bear all of that in mind, thanks! I can but try and see and one day, hopefully, I will get there! Anyway, yours are the clearest instructions I have seen, I can really get my head around them, so thank YOU! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Whoops! I have posted a title idea on your other blog instead of this one. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's OK, I've seen it and replied - thanks for the suggestion.
      xx

      Delete
  3. The 'new' extra A choice is nice to have but oh to have an extra B. I could live on B choices!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when I get to target, I can have two of each on maintaining. I'm glad about the extra A and I guess I can syn any extra Bs I want.
      They used to have two Bs when you were doing SP, of course.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Yes, I have done SP a few times but I find it a struggle...only for when I have my extra strong positive pants on!!
    Since you mentioned gravy, you might be interested in the syn-free onion gravy that I often make: cut an onion into four quarters, place in a jug and microwave until soft. Add an oxo cube and liquidise, Add boiling water to make up required consistency. It's yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to try the syn free gravy for a while - thanks for this recipe, I shall give it a go.
      xx

      Delete