Wednesday 20 March 2019

Recipe: spicy beanburgers

Heavily edited as the recipe isn't accessible.

The ingredients I used to make six good sized, almost syn free burgers:

2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
around 200g potato, peeled and chopped
2 smallish  red onion, finely chopped
a squeeze of both garlic and chilli purees
200g mixed beans (from the freezer - kidney, chickpeas, butterbeans, haricot), defrosted
120g cooked green lentils - I cooked them myself but you could use drained canned ones instead
1 egg
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
some coriander leaves that I had in the freezer so as not to waste most of the bunch I bought
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Low calorie cooking spray
(I also added a heaped tbsp plain flour which is why there's a bit of syn in these burgers - see below)

Method:
It says to zizz everything (except the spray oil) together, pour into a bowl for at least 3-4 hours or overnight, shape into burgers, place them on parchment on a baking tray, spray with oil and bake for about 15 to 20 mins at 180C

It was not without a few huccups along the way.  The blended mixture was very sloppy, even after chilling.  I added some flour and it helped a bit but no way would it shape into burgers that would hold their shape.

So I got my crumpet rings out, placed some parchment on a baking sheet and stood the rings on that, lining each ring with a strip of parchment.
I sprayed the bottom with oil, then spooned in the mixture and got six burgers out of it.  I then sprayed the top and popped the sheet into a 180C oven.
I gave them half an hour, then took them out, lifted off the crumpet rings (it was fairly easy to do), peeled off the parchment from round the sides, gently turned them over, sprayed the other side and popped them back in the oven for about ten minutes and you know what?  They were absolutely gorgeous.

I had one which was more than enough with a salad and coleslaw which was about a third of a portion so my SW conscience is easy on the added flour.  Both my guests had two and there's one left for tomorrow

Definitely one to do again.  For guests as well as just for me.  I wonder if the mixture could go into my waffle moulds and they would certainly work in muffin tins.

(photo - er -  borrowed from the SW site with thanks because I forgot!)

2 comments:

  1. Nope, can't get into the SW site without logging in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH - OK, I will edit the post tomorrow, thanks, Sooze.
      xx

      Delete