Friday 3 December 2021

Friday, 03-12-21: Advent Challenge day 3

Good morning!
Well, I'm now three days into the Festive challenge and enjoying every minute of it!
What do you think so far?

Weigh in today.  Fingers crossed but no problems if it isn't the best.  It will all sort out at some point.
Annoyingly (if that's the right word to use), Jen has asked us to wear masks in group again.  I will, of course, I was wondering about this anyway, but it's back to not hearing just about everything instead of about 50% (which is enough for me to make sense of most things).
(As any heard of hearing person will appreciate, I 'hear' by looking at lips as well as via my ears)
Oh, well, it is what it is!

Yesterday's meals:

Delicious - especially the tomatoes!
This was very nice, especially with the addition of a crumble of chestnut.  It's be nice on a jacket potato too, or in a wrap or in a pitta.  Now that's a thought for later on this month!
Here's the link again:  https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cranberry-chicken-salad

Later on I had a couple of easy peelers and some red grapes.
The difference a plate makes.  I decided to use my very big Spode Christmas Tree plate because the smaller plates don't show the Christmas patterns as they are covered with food.  I know that if that food was on my usual small plate, it would look loads.  As it is - well, you can certainly see the picture!  The food itself seems somewhat camouflaged, doesn't it?
I quite like having the space on the plate though.
The maple sprouts were lovely.  In the end I didn't use butter, I just used spray oil and that titchy bit of mixed veg was leftovers from the previous day.
No pudding - I was full!


Today's meal plans:

B:  mince pie baked oats
I found this on the amazing Slimming Eats site (first cookbook out soon - I have pre-ordered!).   https://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/mince-pie-baked-oats
SW:  five tsp mincemeat is two and a half syns and the oats will be my healthy extra B

L:  mini pizzas, side salad; fruit
I intend cutting circles (or maybe stars or bells or something festive) out of lo-dough and treating them as little pizza bases, topping with a tomato sauce (hm), bits of veg and some grated cheddar.
SW:  the lo dough is two syns and the cheese is one healthy extra A

D:  cod with orange and dill crumb, sliced potato fries, other veg; yogurt
I found the recipe in Easy Cook but it's on the BBC site.  https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cod-orange-dill-crumb-and-hasselback-potato
There will be lo dough cut offs from lunch and I think I will try zizzing them into crumbs and using that instead of bread but if it doesn't work, I have breadcrumbs I can use and I won't need all that much.
SW:  the crème fraiche on the side will be the lighter version and one and a half syns for a level tbsp and the yogurt is half a syn.

E:

Summary:
one healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
around seven syns


From the freezer:  
the cod (or it might be haddock or something else fishy!)
if I have peas or sweetcorn, they will be from the freezer

6 comments:

  1. I must try the mince pie baked oats, sounds scrumptious. As does the orange baked cod and hasselback potato. Fingers crossed for weigh in, I understand completely how difficult it is to hear and understand when masks are worn. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do, don't they. I'm looking forward to breakfast very much today.

      It is what it is and I'd rather do the right thing, keep myself and others a bit safer, maybe, and miss stuff that the other way round. But I have to admit my heart sank when I read the message.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Hope the weigh in goes well.

    The size of plate really does make a difference doesn't it? I have tried the smaller plate approach but don't like the 'crowded' look so tend to stick to the bigger plate, but I hadn't actually realised that it makes such a difference visually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprised. Mind you, that is a very big plate - normally I use it as a serving plate, not to eat off.
      xx

      Delete
  3. After reading about your posh muesli yesterday we bought a rather nice one from Tesco. The low carb diet is well and truly blown out of the water until after the New Year now. I will just have to suffer the effects :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always return to it whenever you want to but Christmas is a hard time to do low carb, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete