Sunday 19 December 2021

Sunday, 19-12-21: Festive challenge day 19

Good morning:

Thankfully, yesterday was back on track again,  Five and a half more days to go and then I will ease off over Christmas for a couple of days.  Mind you, SW friendly meals are so wide ranging and so many are favourites, I'm planning plenty of SW friendly stuff in because I want to.  It's the wine and the savoury nibbles that will put me off track and that's perfectly OK once or twice in a while.  Regardless of SW or any other food strategy, they are not things it is healthy to have too often anyway.

Yesterday's meals:

It was about half past twelve before I was remotely interested in 'breaking my fast' so it was a toss up between planned breakfast or planned lunch.  Breakfast won, as you can see, and I am glad it did.


To keep me going at around four o'clock, I had some almonds.  Nuts may be high in fat but they are 'good' fats and 25g is a healthy extra B so I was happy with that.
The cheesy potato bake was lovely.  I added one tbsp lighter crème fraiche to the beaten egg in the recipe and also a few sprouts that were left over from the other day and it made enough for two so that's tomorrow's potatoes sorted out.
I also cooked some mushrooms to up my speed food a bit.

No room for anything else.

Today's plans:

B:  Christmas roulade with orange segments
I think I might push the boat out and have a bit of squirty cream as well - just because . . .
I have popped the roulade recipe at the end
SW:  20g squirty cream is two and a half syns

L:  beans on toast; fruit
I didn't have it yesterday so I'm having it today!
SW:  one healthy extra B for the toast

D:  pork and leek casserole with fresh apple chutney, the rest of the potato bake, some peas leftover from yesterday and sprouts or broccoli; yogurt
This recipe is from the brand new SW magazine which was available in group last week so should be in the shops this week.  I'm not doing it in its entirety as it includes new potatoes; I'll just make the pork casserole but and the fresh apple bit
SW:  the magazine says it's free, the potato bake is one healthy extra A and the yogurt will be half a syn

E:  a walk, weather permitting

Summary:
one healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
three syns


From the freezer:
bread
pork
peas
chicken stock


Roulade recipe

You will need:
two eggs separated
one pot kvarg- I use the flavoured quark, one tbsp in the 'cake' part and the rest as the 'filling' but you could use the plain quark and flavour it yourself.
Skinny syrup - optional
some sweetener

An oven tray  (I use one that is 28 x 18 cms)
baking parchment
two bowls

Method:
Preheat oven to between 140 and 160C (fan) - you know your oven best.  I tend to go for 140C

In one bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are stiff.
In the other bowl, add one tbsp quark/kvarg to the egg yolk, plus sweetener and skinny syrup or any other spice flavourings you fancy using, and beat together.  Add the yolk mixture to the whites and fold together - it doesn't take long.
Line the oven tray with baking parchment.
Spread the mixture over the tray and smooth over.  Pop it in the oven and give it between 12 and 15 mins, until cooked through and going a bit golden.
Remove from oven and turn out onto a cooling rack, parchment uppermost.
Allow to cool a little bit and then carefully peel off the parchment.

When it is completely cool, spread over with more flavoured or plain quark and any fruit you fancy adding.
Roll up carefully.  It stays quite flexible so it isn't difficult to roll up.
Cut into slices, add any extras you plan to use and enjoy.

SW:  eggs are free, quark is free, kvarg is half a syn per pot, fruit is speed or free, you don't need enough sweetener or skinny syrup to have to syn it

No comments:

Post a Comment