Saturday 11 December 2021

Saturday, 11-12-21: Festive challenge day 11

 Good morning!
I haven't posted a food haul this week because, although I have been shopping, most of what I got was for Christmas as I have plenty to go at over the next days.

Yesterday's meals:

Here's the roulade I mentioned yesterday and I really, really liked it.  The outside wasn't like a cakey roulade as it had no flour butt it did have some fluffy substance to it and I flavoured it with some cinnamon skinny syrup while the filling was half and half Greek yogurt and quark with two level tbsp mincemeat.  I rolled it, sliced it and then sprinkled some orange zest over.  
Here's the link to Joanne's particular vlog that features it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivipQVqEFtA&t=246s

A very ordinary lunch of beans on toast but I really enjoyed it!


Again, nothing particularly festive about dinner apart from the plate but it was delicious!

Today's plans:

B:  apple
This sounds sparse but it's because I am on a wreath making class this morning and there will be refreshments.
SW: unknown

L:  tomato and red pepper soup, Christmas croutons; fruit
I love this soup and, as I came back from Dad's with a few cans of tomatoes, it's an economical soup too.  I might make the croutons a bit bigger this time so I can dunk them rather than toss them in.
SW:  one healthy extra B for the bread and the rest is all speed and free, mostly speed!

D:  steak casserole, spiced red cabbage, roasted root veg crush
Keeping the festive vibe with the red cabbage.  I'll have to search around to find a likely recipe that doesn't use loads of butter and red wine though!
The steak casserole is also courtesy of Dad's freezer - a rib eye steak which I have browned and put in the slow cooker with onion, carrot, bacon and a tasty stock.  Maybe it is sacrilege but I just fancy a lovely beef dinner with the meat just falling apart when you look at it.  It might make more than one portion, I will have to see when it's all cooked and lovely.
I will roast small cubes of the root veg in spray oil and seasonings and then just squash them a bit.
SW:  it is hard to tell because there is some fat on the steak which I didn't cut off because - flavour, you know.  I won't eat the fat but some will be in the gravy.  I'm estimating four syns for that plus a couple of syns for the flour I used to deglaze the pan and thicken the stock.  I'm hoping the rest will be speed/free

E:  a walk to the wreath course and back again.  It's not far but better than nothing.

Summary:
one healthy extra B
six planned syns but the rest are unknown.  Please send 'only one mince pie' vibes in this direction.  :-)


From the freezer (this challenge continues longer term):
bread
steak
root veg

4 comments:

  1. Have fun at the wreath making course today. It's a lovely way to spend a morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had such an enjoyable and satisfying them. It's been great!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I bet the end result is gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - it has its faults but I'm very happy with it and it's now on the front door. Next year's will be better - I might look up some pictures before then so I have a better idea of what I want. Photos on the other blog.
      xx

      Delete