Thursday 23 December 2021

Thursday, 23-12-21: Festive challenge day 23

Good morning:  The Christmas feasting has definitely begun now and today's plans will reflect that.  SW plans will start again on Monday but I'm going to continue posting anyway, describing how the next three or four days should go.

It won't necessarily be SW friendly but it will be predominantly home cooked and tasty.  Stay with me and SW will soon be back, I promise.

The freezer challenge continues anyway!

Yesterday's meals:

This was my lovely, filling breakfast.  I added a potato waffle to the mix, just because . . .
I didn't take a photo of the Chinese takeaway, just on the table beforehand.  That table cloth now needs a wash!!

It was a lovely mix of food, not too much and, apart from some prawn crackers, the only thing left was a bit of rice which went straight in the bin.  The prawn crackers are still sealed in their bag so should last over until Christmas day or whenever . . .

Today's plans:

B:  potato waffle, egg, smoked salmon and hollandaise sauce
Now, I have never, ever, in my whole life, made hollandaise sauce but I have a Thermomix recipe from Cookidoo.
For those of you who don't know, Cookidoo is the Thermomix recipe site and it connects electronically with my Thermomix and takes me through the entire recipe, instruction by instruction, with all the settings pre-set.  I just click through each step, doing what it says (e.g. when it says 'add 20g milk', the scale function shows automatically so I can add the milk and then click 'next') and let Thermione work the magic.  This recipe uses the 'thickening' function.  It's usually very reliable so fingers crossed.
Interestingly, it seems you can freeze leftover hollandaise sauce so I will definitely be giving that a go.  One has to reheat carefully but it's worth a try.

L:  Not sure.  If I feel hungry, I will have a cheese and onion toastie but the chances are I won't want anything so substantial so I might have a cuppa soup or similar - I think I have a few sachets somewhere.

D:  chicken, Marmite chips, salad
I have a couple of 'convenience' chicken in batter thingies and thought I'd use one of them.  I've actifried chips many times (they're so lovely) but I've never made Marmite chips.  Marmite roasties are definitely a thing so why not chips?
Have you every made them?  Are they nice?
The salad will just be simple - lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and maybe red pepper.


From the freezer: 
potato waffle
maybe bread
chicken in batter

2 comments:

  1. Joy you utter genius. It has never even crossed my mind to put a potato waffle on a breakfast plate. I'm going to see if i can find a recipe for potato waffles then I can freeze them and use them when we fancy something a bit more substantial for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are absolutely lovely with an egg on top or, like today, with bacon, smoked salmon and hollandaise sauce.

      Delete