Saturday 31 December 2022

Saturday, 31-12-22: New Year's Eve

 Good morning!
Yesterday's weigh in - ouch and triple ouch but there you go.  Line drawn, moving on to fresh fields and pastures new!  I know exactly what I need to do - I just need to do it.

Most of the Christmas leftovers have now either been eaten or otherwise sorted.  The freezer is laden and, after tonight, things move on into another New Year.

I'm not a great one for 'resolutions'.  However, Jan 1st is a useful cut off/start up point, isn't it?
For me, given how many supplies I have in and how much things are going up, January is going to be a low spend/no spend month.
I know that's a bit contradictory but the idea is this.

All I will buy through January is essentials - and by that I mean food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs.  All other foods will come out of my existing supplies and, to be honest, that may not be much of a challenge.  Also included in any low spend essentials are cleaning products and toiletries although I think I am fine for the latter.  
And anything else essential that I won't think of until it lands!
That is the low spend part.

Everything else, unless it is either a regular bill/payment/commitment, will not happen.  No sneaky little Amazon purchases, no 'bargains' from the supermarket, certainly no clothes . . .
That's the no spend part.

Given that the food side of it won't be much of a challenge for a while, I think it will likely continue into February - but we will see about that when the time comes.

Yesterday's meals:

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with fancy stuff when simple beans on toast tastes so very good.
Instead of spray toasting the bread, I carefully measured half a tsp turkey dripping (one syn) which, being quite soft, spread right over the whole slice and imparted a lovely, subtle flavour to the whole meal.


Definitely not a traditional lasagne, but it was actually quite tasty.  The underneath was onion, pepper, mushroom, turkey, chicken stock powder and chopped tomatoes, the lasagne was the reused bits from making the ravioli and the topping was a beaten egg with 30g hard Italian cheese, grated with 30g double Gloucester grated cheese over the top.
Not a proper lasagne top but it did work.

I also had three small easy peelers.
A very easy turkey curry using a Spice Queen mix and it was delicious!
So were the several easy peelers I had afterwards.  They're starting to go off and need using up quickly.  That's my excuse anyway!


Good start though - nothing off plan, nothing after seven pm, despite being sorely tempted.


Today's meal plans:

B:  oat pancakes with fruit
I plan to use 40g oats, zizzed to a powder, with an egg, some almond milk, sweetener and some baking powder.
The almond milk is a new venture - friends say it's really nice and it counts as part of a healthy extra A (100mls is one syn so 300 mls is pretty much half an A).
Now, milk is the thing I waste the most so I have indulged in some 250ml bottles and I will freeze it is 250mls.  I gather it freezes very well.  Fingers crossed.
SW:  half a healthy extra A and one B

L:  Spanish tortilla and salad; fruit
I thought, in order to have something with a bit of goodness in it for this evening, I would make a Spanish tortilla which I could slice, have one slice for dinner and serve the rest this evening.  Any leftovers will do for tomorrow.
I think I will use this recipe as a base.
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/eggs-recipes/spanish-tortilla/
To it, I can add some jarred roasted red peppers that need using up and some sliced mushrooms and, as I don't have any waxy potatoes, I will use some canned potatoes that I won in a SW raffle ages ago and haven't used yet.  No meat because if I do Beth can't have it, but with the eggs and any cheese I add, there's enough protein.  I might sprinkle some cheese over in the last few minutes and I might pop it under the grill rather than flip it - I'll see how I feel.
SW:  Hard to say as I'm making more than one portion but I guess the cheese will be a healthy extra A and I will use spray oil - I doubt any purists, sheffy people are reading this but, if you are, apologies!!

D:  New Year's Eve buffet
As it is New Year's Eve, Beth and Alex are round and we are having a buffet with all the bits and pieces that didn't get use over the Christmas weekend.  There's the tortilla, cheese and crackers, mozzarella sticks, veggie sausage rolls, some sort of mini tarts, a Christmas cake entirely untouched, some pigs in blankets and loads of easy peelers.
Oh, and gin, wine, beer - ooops!
No, not SW friendly, but it's the one meal of this week that will be off plan.
SW:  unknown

E:  a walk

Summary:
Unknown.  I was tempted to add ' but it will be last blow out this year' but I won't because how corny is that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment