Sunday 7 January 2024

Sunday, 07-01-24

Good morning, everyone.

When I made my shopping list when still on ship, I thought I would treat myself to some roast lamb.  A big treat and pretty expensive but now and again - you know.  However, is it happened, roast lamb was one of the lunch options that day so I made the most of that (it was delicious) and got a chicken for Sunday instead.
It'll give me plenty of meat for the week and some good chicken stock for the freezer or for a nice soup.

I finished off making that rye/spelt bread recipe alongside my usual wholemeal.  I really had my doubts; the dough was very heavy and un-bread-like and some of the ingredients were a bit of a surprise.
Breads differ, of course, it's not all light, well risen, light crumby stuff.  Some bread is dark and dense.   This bread is more to the latter than the former but it is absolutely delicious in its own way and is really very like what I wanted.
As far as SW is concerned, I know it has plenty of fibre so I am going to call it a B choice.  I've sliced the loaf, weighed each slice and, as they are not that large, I am calling one slice half a healthy extra B.  One to make again, once I have nearly finished this loaf.
I'm really pleased.
Yesterday's meal photos:

Raspberries (note to self - get some frozen blackberries), grapes and an apple with seeds and yogurt.  Most satisfying !
This was really scrummy.  In the end I used 50g Philly light for three and a half syns and one syn for 20g superlight mayo plus the smoked salmon (and some dill, lemon juice and black pepper to make the pate and the pillow and I used my last couple of slices of bread from the freezer because the new baked stuff was only just out of the oven.

It filled me up so I had my fruit - a pear - later in the afternoon.

Also, I sliced the sye/spelt loaf and had one end with a bit of cheese spread.  The spread can be part of an A and the bread is three syns.

It may not be posh nosh but this chicken and bacon pasta carbonara was delicious.
Dessert was an apple.  And that was that for the day.



Today's meal plans:

B:  cooked breakfast
Bacon, egg, toasted rye bread, mushrooms and tomatoes.
I was going to have pancakes and fruit but the rye/spelt bread I made yesterday is so nice, I changed my mind and have moved the pancakes to Friday instead.
SW:  half a healthy extra B

L:  roast chicken, cranberry sauce, assorted vegetables, stuffing, gravy; fruit
I will cook the chicken in Nellie - it still takes an hour but is easier on the old electricity.  I can make the cranberry sauce, I might turn the sausage I use for stuffing (a rosemary and red onion one) into a pig in a blanket using a bacon medallion, and the gravy is the Bisto Christmas Special pigs in blankets flavoured instant one - yes, ultra processed rubbish really but it is so tasty and I only have a bit now and again.  I meant to get another pot but forgot and I can't imagine it is still in the shops now.
SW:  one syn for a level tsp sugar in the cranberry sauce, one syn for the gravy and I think that is it.  The chicken (skin off) is free, the sausage and the bacon (fat removed) is free, the vegetables are all free (and mostly speed) . . . 

D:  chicken salad, coleslaw; fruit
I thought I would make a sort of Caesary-type salad.  My idea is to prepare a green and red salad (lettuce/leaves, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrot, cucumber, pepper), maker some croutons, cut some cooked chicken into bits, shred a bit of Serrano ham (any fat removed) and then toss the lot in some Caesar dressing (from M&S - I'm not that clever!!) .  And I'll probably also toss in a tsp mixed seeds because . . .
And then top the lot with some curls of hard Italian cheese.
SW:  one to two healthy extra As for cheese, half a B for the croutons, three syns for 20mls salad dressing and one syn for one level tsp mixed seeds.

Exercise:

Summary: 
up to two healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
six syns - I thought it would be more!


4 comments:

  1. The Caesar salad sounds yummy. I suppose it's possible the shops are selling their leftover stocks of Christmas gravy granules - and anything else Christmassy - off cheap? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my eyes open but It's probably a bit late now. You never know though!
      I'm looking forward to the salad. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm fairly sure Ive seen the gravy on the clearance section in our local Tesco (in Fe bruary) and possibly B&M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I've also found some reduced in Morrisons and am now well stocked up. Cheers!! xx

      Delete