Thursday 21 May 2020

Thursday, 21-05-20

Good morning!

I had a go at an egg custard recipe that was on Lifeline Online; the only different from a 'proper' one was the kind of milk, the lack of any cream and using stevia instead of sugar.  It was dead easy to make and I ended up with three portions rather than the two the recipe stated.  No complaints.  The whole lot was one heA and 35 mls more which is just under one syn.  Next time, I will use my larger ramekins or use one larger dish as this makes the maths quite hard so I'm calling it half a heA and half a syn for half, regardless.
(I think they would be nice with a bit of squirty cream but no . . . )



Yesterday's food:

Breakfast, out in the garden, using my 'pretty' china.


A scrummy lunch and . . .

. . . the egg custard was absolutely brilliant.  I tried a little bit of agave nectar with it but, actually, it didn't need it and made it too sweet.
I shall be making this fairly often, I can see.




Dinner was also very nice although next time I will cut down on the amount of sweetness.
Today's plans:
B:  apple, orange and yogurt
SW:  half a syn for the yogurt

L:  SW style scotch egg and salad
Another Lifeline Online recipe which uses skinny sausage meat and couscous.  I made it last night and fingers crossed.
SW:  one syn for the sausage meat and half a syn for some M&S salad dressing.

D:   roasted veg pasta; egg custard
I found this idea in the Good Food magazine and will adapt it slightly as I don't have all the ingredients.  I intend to dice some sweet potato, squash and parsnip, cut an onion into wedges and add some home frozen mixed pepper, which I will roast in one tsp toasted sesame oil (and spray oil, if extra is needed), adding garlic granules and maybe some herbs half way through.  Ten minutes before the end I will add some tomatoes.  I think I still have a few pots of frozen ones from last year's harvest or perhaps just some halved cherry tomatoes.
When that's all done and slightly charred, I will just add some cooked wholewheat pasta of some kind, sprinkle with a bit of not-parmesan and scoff.
SW:  two syns for the oil and one heA for the not-parmesan, half a heA and let's call it one syn for safety's sake for the egg custard

S:  none

Body Magic:  Some work down the allotment, but apart from that, a rest day.

Summary:
one and a half heAs
five syns
quite a cheap day today!

Having found a little red bucket barbecue, perfect for one, while tidying out the shed, I'm having fun planning a mini barbecue, just for me, on Saturday.  I've found a marinade on Lifeline Online but if you have any ideas, do let me know!

7 comments:

  1. I'll have to give the egg custard a go, its hobbies favourite and suitable as he is type 1 diabetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it as much as I do! I shall be making more for the weekend. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. What is Lifeline Online, Joy?

    Him Outdoors loves egg custard....I'm not a fan but must say yours looks lovely. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lifeline online is the SW site but it's closed to non-members, sadly. However, I gather the recipe can be found elsewhere.

      Hm, having said that, I can't find one the same, they're all made with yogurt instead of milk. Might be worth a try next time I make it.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Custard is very comforting, isn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the creamy coleslaws you buy so do miss them, but we have discovered red slaw.
    Thinly sliced red and white cabbage, grated carrot, tossed in cider vinegar with a touch of sugar, not a lot but gosh left to marinate in the fridge it is very tasty and cheers up a green salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm - no coleslaw, just cider vinegar - like a mild pickle really. That sounds good, thanks.
    xx

    ReplyDelete