Tuesday 12 May 2020

Tuesday, 12-05-20

Good morning.

I didn't take photos of breakfast or lunch.
Instead . . .

I had a packet of mung beans.  They are the beans that beansprouts grow from although you can sprout pretty much all pulses really.

I put a few in a jar that could be covered with a square of muslin (for easy drainage) and soaked them for eight hours after which time I drained them and left them on the side.

Twice a day I added water, swilled it around so each beanlet got wet and then drained off the water.  If the water wasn't clear, I gave it another go.
This is the next day.

After three days.








After four days.



And on the seventh day (yesterday), some of them helped to make a really delicious stir fry with onion, cabbage, red pepper, mushroom, some bbq sauce and some protein noodles.

A little goes a long way with mung beans - the small amount I started with ended up as a whole bowlful.  I've used some, frozen some (I'm sure they freeze because you get them in frozen meals) and have a few to use today.  The stir fry was enough for two so I will add the rest of the sprouts to today's lunch portion.


I really had forgotten how lovely a fresh stir fry is and will be starting off some more beans tomorrow.  I might also start off some chick peas, just to see how they go too.

It's the SW Zoom meeting this morning and I am pleased to say that after a week of ups and downs on the scales, I have lost another pound.  I'm pleased about that but extra thrilled because it takes me into the next stone down - a single digit stone as well.  I can't remember when I was last nine stone anything!  Less than half a stone to go to target!  Woohoo.
(to be fair, that's on my scales.  The SW scales weigh about a pound heavier)

Today's meals:
B:  bacon, egg and fried tomato; pineapple slices
SW:  free

L:  stir fry chicken leftovers with extra beansprouts; pineapple slices
I know it won't be quite as crunchy as last night but the flavours will have developed and it will still be really good.
SW:  one syn for half a tsp of toasted sesame oil (it really did add to the flavour), one syn for two tbsp Crucials BBQ sauce and one and a half syns for some protein noodles
(basically, I have halved the syns I worked out yesterday as it's about half of the finished product)

D:  wrap pizza with salad; yogurt
I haven't had a wrap pizza for ages and really do fancy one.  I will make a tomato sauce with some tomato puree, some balsamic vinegar and some seasonings and herbs, using the add and taste strategy!  The topping will be a bacon medallion, cut into strips and onion, red pepper and mushroom.  And cheese, of course.
SW:  one heB and up to two heAs plus half a syn for the yogurt

S:  none

BM:  some gardening and some allotment work

Summary:
two heAs and one heB
four syns







8 comments:

  1. Morning Joy. I love a big crunchy stir fry. Many many years ago when I tried my first slimming club, I think it was just called Slimming, I ate so many stir fries, lost a lot of weight which I kept off for quite a few years. Back then was when you had to aim for the target they set which for me was unobtainable. I think for many people. It's much more encouraging now we can set our own targets. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. As long as it's not too low, it's fine. And there's the flexibility to change it as well which I think is really helpful.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I like sprouting beans. Think I will get some of these and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an easy thing to do and very rewarding.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I used to sprout beans like mung beans. My problem was that the family would not eat the beans attached to the sprout and I was not prepared to stand there and remove all the little beans. they said that you didn't get the little beans in a pack of beansprouts bought in the shop. I tried sprouting smaller seeds like alfalfa which they would accept better but in the end I gave up because I just had too many complaints. That was some time ago so I must give it another go because I liked them : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so very fiddly to remove the bean and just keep the sprout, wouldn't it? Not to mention that there must be some goodness in the bean.
      It's easy to just do a few - for you only.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I love sprouting beans, haven't had (or done) any for absolute ages. Thank you Joy, I will try this again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. They're fun to do.
      xx

      Delete