Tuesday 2 June 2020

Tuesday, 02-06-20 (longer message alert)

Good morning.
  Zoom meeting is this morning, stayed the same and lucky to get away with that!

New SW week, new focus.  Maybe I should say different and short term focus

I'm not abandoning SW, it's still going to be the bedrock of my eating plans for now and ongoing.  However, I think I've got a bit sloppy with it all and I need a way of tightening up so I am going all Pinch of Nom this week and will count calories.

However they are wrapped up, calories are at the centre of any balanced weight loss plan.  I'm not getting into any arguments about this so, please, no 'keto'/'Atkins'/whatever comments, thanks.
SW is based on calorie intake; it's just not specifically mentioned as such, relying on common sense and this 'lots of speed veg' thing that, naturally, keeps the starchy carbs, etc, under control.
I used to know a lot about calorie values (not that knowledge alone does much good) but I've forgotten a lot and I need to refresh my knowledge just a bit.

The second Pinch of Nom book, Everyday Light, is packed with recipes that are 400 calories and under and my plan for the week is to make nearly all my meals from the book (a total of 1200 calories or less per day) or from the website plus whatever I have outside of that (apples, etc) up to 200 calories more.  It's dead easy to check calories nowadays so it won't be difficult.

However, I will still sort of 'cross reference' it all to SW as much as I can and annotate the recipe with SW values for the future.  It can't be too difficult and it should even out over the week.

This, I think, will refocus me and help me to tighten up again.

As the recipes are from a published book, I'm not going to be able to give much in the way of detail unless the recipe is generally available on their web site but I can describe and I do recommend the books, this one and their first book.  A fantastic resource.

Quick photos of yesterdays meals:
Breakfast . . .


. . . lunch . . .





. . . and dinner.



Today's plans:
B:  hash brown breakfast bake (PoN 2, p38); apple
You cook some potato (I did extra for dinner last night) and cube it.  Onion, bacon and mushrooms are softened in stray oil and then you add some baked beans.  Pop in an ovenproof dish, spray the cubes of potato with oil and spread on top, baking it until the potato is browning and crisping.
two portions of the hash brown bake = 378 cals
apple = 50 cals
Total = 428 cals
SW:  free

L:  chicken and asparagus quiche (PoN 2, p 90), salad, 30g mayo
This is made the usual crustless quiche way and it serves six so that's five portions wrapped and frozen for other lunches.  Works for me!
one portion of the quiche = 192 cals
extra cheese = 42 cals
salad = 15 cals
super light mayo = 30 cals
Total = 279 cals
SW:  the whole quiche takes one and a half heAs cheese so one portion is a quarter of a heA  and the extra cheese is one  heA so that's one and a half heA in total, rounded up because SW doesn't 'do' quarter healthy extras (or syns).  The mayo is around one syn

D:  pizza loaded fries (PoN 2, p74), salad; fruit yogurt
This is basically chips with things on top!  I've had it before and it is jolly tasty!
the recipe = 390 cals
salad = 15 cals
30g mayo = 30 cals
coffee frappe flavour flavour Mullerlight is 80 cals
Total = 515 cals
SW:  the mozzarella in the fries is one heA, the mayo is one syn and the yogurt is half a syn

S:  none

Body Magic:  work at the allotment and a good walk

Summary:
total calories = 1222
around two and a half heAs and no heBs
two and a half syns

Apologies for all the numbers.  I know they're boring but I need to ground myself and be more mindful, I think, and this is my way of doing it.  It's just for a week or two; I couldn't stand it for long and it's making my brain ache.  


10 comments:

  1. Everything dies come down to calories, you are quite right. Our bodies run on an optimum amount for our height, exercise, lifestyle etc....too many and you get fat. Too few you lose weight. WW & SW are both designed to steer towards healthy food. I think you'll do well with a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a little shift in focus but I do feel 'right' about it, for a short time at any rate.
      xx

      Delete
  2. It makes a difference to shake up the way you do things, reignites the 'mojo'. SW certainly has helped me to rethink the way I eat and cook but a change is as good as a rest. PON has lovely recipes so I'm sure you'll do fine. We're having their Creamy Garlic Chicken tonight x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lyn, it's getting the old mojo moving again.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds a sensible plan to adopt a different approach when you've reached a plateau, it should shift things. You're so close to the finishing line now, Joy, you'll get there soon, I'm sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sooze, under half a stone is so close. In a way, it is just a number on a slate but it's a sort of 'victory line'.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I think I might look into that book. I need some structure or I just make far too big a portion. In my defence I have started to freeze small portions if I overestimate. I do like that pretty plate. It makes eating such a pleasure when the china is lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A number of recipes that I try are too large a portion and that's next day's lunch sorted.
      Thanks, I love my china too. It's M&S and out of manufacture now, but I was lucky enough to buy loads of extras on eBay before it because scarce (and more expensive) so, barring disasters, I am set up for life and happy to be so.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I have days when I count calories as fitting what I'm going to eat into the SW plan just doesn't work. The bottom line is, as you say, the number of calories consumed. Life is for living and the plan has to fit us just as we fit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. I know it won't be long before I get fed up of weighing and calorie valuing everything and I'll go back to SW but, hopefully, with a bit more underlying knowledge.
      xx

      Delete