Sunday 17 October 2021

Sunday, 17-10-21

 Morning

I went through the beef and lamb bag in the freezer and found an AWFUL lot of steak of different kinds.  No complaints, I love steak, I'm just ashamed there's so much. 
I think that, over the months/last few years, I bought steak in twos, used one, froze the other . . .
I also found mince, hm burgers, braising steak and some Muscle Food meatballs (old!).  Apart from some loin lamb chops (from Dad's freezer), the only lamb I found isn't mine, I'm giving it freezer space for my son and daughter in law.

I've dug out some good sounding recipes for beef and, after a fish week, I'm looking forward to meat again!  I have an up to date list of what I've got so no excuses!

I'll give the chicken, poultry and fish bag a sort out next.  I'm so glad I spent time last year sorting everything into bags - I can just life out one bag and sort that, no need to do a complete defrost.  And when it's cold enough to do a defrost, I can just lift out the baskets and bags in a minute or so!

Yesterday's meals:

This sort of breakfast always looks a bit messy but it was really lovely.  I spent an extra one and a half syns on some raspberry chocolate sauce.
Goodness, this was filling!  I think the flavour has improves with the spell in the freezer too.
I had two apples afterwards - sounds a lot but I had to cut them up and take bits out because they were allotment apples.  Really lovely flavour though.

Later on in the afternoon, I had two easy peelers.

It looks like a lot of dinner but most of it is veg, all from the freezer and originally all from the allotment!  It's definitely worth spending some healthy As on cheese in the mash and I also spent another three syns on two tbsp crème fraiche instead of milk in the sauce.

I was too full for anything else.



Today's plans:

B:  bacon, egg, mushrooms and tomatoes 
My classic cooked breakfast, using the last of the Spoilt Pig bacon.
SW:  protein, free and speed.  If I have bbq sauce, half a syn for that

L:   Chinese style chicken with rice and veg; fruit
From the freezer and it says 1 syn on the lid so there you go.  I might have some salad with it, it depends how I feel at lunch time.
SW:  one syn plus free, protein and speed

D:  giant Yorkshire with chicken, stuffing, cranberry sauce and veg, lemon mousse
I enjoyed this so very much last week that I'm having it again.  This time I will bend the rules and use wholemeal plain flour rather than oats.  I want to see if and how the batter behaves differently - will it rise more, for example.
(  I've given my reasons for thinking this is a valid way to use a healthy extra B in previous posts.   :-)  )
So - I will make the giant Yorkshire and on it I will have some sliced chicken breast, Linda McCartney sausage stuffing, cranberry sauce and assorted veg, some of which might be actifry roasted, you never know.  Delish!  I have some gravy in the freezer - goodness knows what kind or how many syns
The dessert is something that someone shared in our SW Facebook group.  I'll let you know.
SW:  one healthy extra B, a quarter of an A (milk in the Yorkshire), one and a half syns for a level tbsp cranberry sauce.  The dessert should be free.  I'm saying three syns for the gravy, just to be on the safe aside.  It hardly matters as the syns are low anyway.

E:  weather permitting, some gardening today

Summary:
quarter of a healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
six syns maximum, probably less.

From the freezer:  Chinese chicken and  rice, LM sausage for stuffing, sliced chicken breast, possibly some of the veg.

No comments:

Post a Comment