Wednesday 9 February 2022

Wednesday, 09-02-22

 Good morning!

I did a food shop in the morning and totally forgot to photo what I got and post about it.  Sorry.
It was mostly fruit and veg and I stocked up with some sirloin and fillet steak from Aldi.  Still expensive but not nearly as expensive as other places.

I also got some mince - one pack of beef mince under 3% and one of pork mince under 5% - because I want to make some more savoury mince.  I have a friend round for lunch tomorrow and want to make chilli jackets and then my son and daughter in law are round for dinner on Friday and I shall do something mincy/pasta-ey.  Cheesy pasta bake, perhaps, or bolognaise or lasagne . . .
What's left can go into single portions in the freezer.


Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast, deferred from Monday, was well worth the waiting.  Four items is just as satisfying as six or seven.
I did the hash browns in the actifry, without the paddle, 200C for ten minutes, and they were fine.  I think I added a bit too much egg to this lot.
(There were some new potatoes in M&S so I thought I would try making them from fresh.  Not as frugal but maybe twice as nice?  I'll see.)

I found this in Aldi.  Unlike the other 'low calorie' bars, these are sold singly rather than in boxed of four or five so I felt I could risk it.  I took it with me to Hyde Hall and enjoyed it before leaving.  It's really delicious with chocolate covering some crunchy, melt in the mouth meringue.  Five syns and worth every penny!

This was lunch, just as nice as the day before.  As I hadn't had the bbq sauce for breakfast, I had it with this for another half syn (one syn in total).




I've made this dinner before (minus the croutons and feta) and it was just as nice as I remember.

Some yogurt finished it all off for the day.

So I finished the day five and a half syns over what I'd planned for but, as they were very low to start with, it's in no way a problem!

Today's meal plans:

B:  oat bran waffles with yogurt, fruit and agave nectar
I haven't had waffles for simply ages!
SW:  most of one healthy extra B and one and a half syns for one tbsp nectar

L:  burger in a bowl; fruit
Having looked up a few recipes, this is basically a Sloppy Joe without a bun.  Make some savoury rice, add some pickles, some cheese and some burger sauce and serve on a salad.
I have savoury mince in the freezer which I can jazz up so I will use about half of a portion (the rest can do for something tomorrow), I have little gherkins, I have cheese and I have a recipe for a delicious burger sauce that came initially from Hello Fresh (or was it Muscle Food?) - equal amounts of tomato puree or ketchup, mayo and sweet mustard ketchup which you have to syn but it's well worth it.
SW:  the half portion of mince is half a syn and the burger sauce is three syns or three and a half, depending on whether I use puree or ketchup.  So four syns max.  If I add cheese, it will be one healthy extra A

D:  roasted red pepper falafels, creamy red pepper sauce, roasted tomatoes, maybe some roasted peppers, rice; yogurt
I have over half a can of chickpeas to use up so I'm starting with some falafels, recipe found on the SW site but it will be adapted somewhat.  I don't have fresh chives right now and I refuse to use leaf coriander.  It also seems a bit short on spice so I'll think about that.
The sauce is already in the freezer and I have plenty of tomatoes so roasting will be very easy.  I may or may not use the rice.  I'll see how I feel.
(I'll probably make a burger with the remaining chickpeas, or maybe a curry.)
SW:  the breadcrumbs will make up my B choice for the day and half a syn for yogurt

E:  kettle exercises and personal training

Summary:
one healthy extra A and I'll probably have the other as oat milk
one healthy extra B (about 35g oat bran plus some wholemeal breadcrumbs)
six syns

From the freezer:
fruit for breakfast, probably raspberries and cherries
savoury mince
Swiss cheese (a mix of emmental and gruyere)
red pepper sauce (I'm going to make this again; it's so, so useful)
breadcrumbs

2 comments:

  1. I'm working my way through the freezer so every day is a surprise meal to me at the moment.....I've learned my lesson... must label everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < chuckle > As Eileen said today, UFOs - Unidentified Freezer Objects.
      I have a sharpie and write on the pot as much as possible - the bag if I have to but it can rub off the bag after a while. xx

      Delete