Tuesday 25 September 2018

Tuesday, 25-09-18

Good morning!
Yesterday's kedgeree was quite nice but not quite spicy enough.  You don't want so much curry that you can't taste other flavours but I could hardly taste it.  I shall make it again at some point and up the curry powder.
I had a small portion left so that will do for a lunch at some point.

Today's plans:
B:  overnight oats, fruit and natural yogurt
I will use cherries and pineapple from the freezer - I think pineapple goes particularly well with porridge-y type things.
SW:  I'm synning the milk today so that's 3 syns while the oats stay as my healthy extra B

L:  I'm out over lunchtime, not in an eat-y sort of way but because I am having sight and hearing tests, so I will take an apple with me which should do me fine, eaten s-l-o-w-l-y!
SW free

D:  Mixed veg with macaroni cheese topping
This is my favourite way of adding a cheese sauce to pasta.  I cook the macaroni and drain it (reserving a bit of the cooking water).  Then, while the macaroni is still hot, toss in some Dairylea cheese and mix it well until melted, adding a bit of the cooking water to get the right texture.  It makes a good, cheesy flavour and feels like a proper cheese sauce.  I will put the hot vegetable mixture into one of my oven proof dishes, pour over the macaroni cheese, sprinkle over a bit of cheddar and bake until golden brown.  It's really nice.
The vegetable mix is from the freezer, leftovers from a week or so ago.
SW:  four Dairylea wedges counts as one healthy extra A (which is why I synned the breakfast milk) and the cheddar (25g) is five syns.  The rest is free.

Sn:  tomatoes

Quite a nice day and not too expensive either.  Good-oh!

4 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, good idea for the cheese sauce, I like it. I do eat too much cheese, it's my biggest downfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I would miss it so much if I couldn't have any. Using the wedges (or equivalent) is so much cheesier than cottage cheese, fromage frais or any of the other work-arounds I have seen.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I love cheese too so I buy a good mature and habe far less. The fat reduced ones are getting better taste wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, and in texture too. They just don't cook as well as the 'whole' cheese. I do what you do - buy a strong mature and have what's recommended for that type. It's better than using light, I think.
      xx

      Delete