Monday 3 September 2018

Recipe: cheesy syn free potato cakes

I found this while searching blogs and here's the link.

https://basementbakehouse.com/2016/10/syn-free-pan-fried-potato-cakes/


I sort of quartered the amounts before noticing that it says 'serves three'.  Never mind, I ploughed on anyway and here's my comments

I used Maris Pipers.  King Edwards would also be good.  You need a potato with bags of flavour.  I wouldn't use whites.  They need to be good mashers.
Boiling the potatoes in stock was a great idea - they were lovely.
I used dried parsley.
I used just a bit of the egg and will use the rest in my breakfast on Wednesday so no waste.
I used 40g Cathedral lighter grated cheddar and counted it as my healthy extra A.

I got five potato cakes out of quarter amounts, one of which I have set aside, again for Wednesday.  It should last OK till then.  They were lovely.  Proper comfort food which I will make again for sure.  They would be lovely with egg or bacon (or both) or with fried tomatoes or baked beans.

Yes, basically it's fried potato but the additions definitely add another dimension. And filling!  I couldn't have managed the last one comfortably.

I had them with tomatoes from the garden and some (synned) salad cream.  I have always loved mash with salad cream, odd as it may sound.  I blame school dinners.


4 comments:

  1. Yummy, I'll definitely try these. Incidentally, I bought some low fat pork mince the other day to try your sausages....it's in the freezer at the mo, might do them at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I hope you like them as much as I do. I'm planning to have a cooked breakfast on Wednesday and a sausage will definitely feature!
      xx

      Delete
  2. The potato cakes look delicious. As we're decorating at the weekend I'm in charge of brunch and I plan to make some potato cakes, I've never made breakfast style ones before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were still nice after two days in the fridge. I have to make some more now. :-)
      xx

      Delete