Saturday 8 September 2018

Saturday, 08-09-18

Good morning.

My plans for today.
B:  overnight oats, fruit, natural yogurt
Each week I prepare a jar with three portions of overnight oats which does me over the weekend.  As the weather gets chillier, I can always warm the oats in in the microwave, if necessary and it makes for an easy, tasty, comforting start to the day.
SW:  the oats are my healthy extra B, the milk is half a healthy extra A and the rest is free.

L:  tomato soup from the freezer)
Home made, delicious and free!  I might make a few baked croutons to go with it.

D:  hunter's turkey, new potatoes, vegetables (I have some broccoli so may use that)
You've heard of Hunter's chicken - well, this is more or less the same thing but using a turkey breast steak instead.  I made some SW bbq sauce and froze it in portions so I'll use one portion of that.  The potatoes are the last of the new potatoes from the allotment (sob, sob) so now we have to start the 'old' potatoes (cheering up again).  The broccoli needs using fairly soon and anyway I want to make soup from the stalk.
SW:  half of the cheese is the other half of today's healthy extra A and the other half is synned.  The rest of the recipe is free.

Ss:  fruit and tomatoes
The tomatoes keep giving and giving - those plants that are still flourishing, I mean.  The ones in pots have given up the ghost, more or less.

While delving in the freezer, I found some braising steak that has been there far too long so yesterday I dug out a recipe and cooked it in the slow cooker.  Now I have five beefy meals in the freezer and the new slow cooker has started earning its space.

Later edit:
Also while delving for the turkey steaks, I realise that the freezer is in a desperate state again.  There's too much there for me to see what I have.  I couldn't even find the turkey steaks so it's chicken thighs instead.
I've planned next week now but the following week is going to be freezer week - just about everything will be  from the freezer.   The most recent stuff is SW meal leftovers anyway!  I will start planning it now so I don't forget!


4 comments:

  1. Love Hunters chicken. Our toms are slowing down now too - and we've just this week had the last of our new potatoes. Our 2 freezers are very nearly full up now, I must have a freezer week too, to make more room - still got lots of apples to process and freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, with my keep, save, preserve instinct, overloaded freezers are a big problem from time to time but I guess it's a good problem to have! Good luck with your freezer week. I reckon mine will be more than a week the way it looks right now.
      We've finished the new potatoes too and will be starting on the old ones soon.
      xx

      Delete
  2. My freezer is in a similar state, Joy. Though it's not quite as bad as it was. I am determinedly (mostly) using food we have instead of buying more. The problem is finding it. I am a pretty well organised person except when it comes to my food stores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for getting it organised and under control. I've done the smaller one now but my heart quails at the thought of tackling the bigger one! Maybe one bite at a time, so to speak! :-)

      Delete