Thursday 27 February 2020

Recipe: sweet pancakes (NOT SW compliant but . . .)

. . . but they work with SW if you think laterally and don't mind bending the rules.


The basis and rationale for this is . . .
  • oat pancakes are very tasty but they're not the same
  • a healthy extra of bread is 60g wholemeal bread
  • 60g wholemeal bread contains between 35 and 40 g wholemeal flour (I know this from my breadmaking)
  • 35g wholemeal flour is 120 calories
  • therefore, one can (and ought to be able to) use 35g wholemeal flour as a healthy extra B


HOWEVER . . . it's fair to say that that I doubt Slimming World would accept this argument so, while I am happy to call a 35g batch of  wholemeal pancakes a healthy extra B, if you're being totally SW centred, you'd have to syn this - and that would be around six syns.
Don't sub white flour, that would in no way be a healthy extra B!


With that in mind . . .

Ingredients:
35g wholemeal/wholewheat plain or strong flour
one egg
100g milk or yogurt*
bit of vanilla essence
maybe a bit of sweetener - optional
splash of water - optional
spray oil

*I used my cholesterol lowering yogurt drink because I have it anyway but I didn't try milk.  I'm guessing it would work fine though.

Method:
put the flour, egg and yogurt into a bowl and whisk together until smooth (doesn't take long at all)  Add the vanilla and any sweetener, mix in, cover and pop in the fridge until needed.

Get out the batter and, if it seems a bit thick, add just a little splash of water (be careful - not too much) or milk.
Spray a non stick pan, heat on high-ish and when it's ready add a portion of batter, swirling it round to spread it out.
Cook in the usual way, then turn out onto a plate or rack, respray the pan and add the next portion of batter.

Of the size I make (not too big but not mini ones), I got seven pancakes which, for me, is two portions.  Even better!  I have wrapped three of them (the larger three) and popped them in the freezer for another time.
I had the others rolled with fruit and yogurt inside, topped with more yogurt, more fruit with a drizzle of agave nectar over the top.  Lovely!


The facts per portion:
one healthy extra B (unofficially) or three syns
a quarter of a healthy extra A if you use milk, nothing if you use natural yogurt
plus syns, if necessary, for toppings

There are two ways to go with this.  One is to add a bit of baking powder and see if this mixture will also make nice, fluffy American pancakes.  The other is to omit the sweetness, add a bit of savoury (cheese, maybe?) or keep them neutral and use in savoury dishes.
I'll let you know in due time.

P.S.  don't tell anyone, but I licked the plate clean, they were that good!


4 comments:

  1. I love how you've made a photo collage for your header. Was it hard to do? Savoury pancakes are nice especially with an interesting filling. Here we would call them crepes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, there's this free program called Photocollage. I posted the address the other day in my other blog - photocollage.com
    Dead easy to use after just a short explore.
    Here, crepes are the very very thin ones, normal pancakes are the ordinary, slightly thicker ones and if you use a raising agent and make puffy ones, we call them American pancakes. They're all lovely! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on this, Joy. Looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and I will definitely be adopting 35g wholewheat flour into my SW 'family', so to speak! It gives one so much more variety. Pizza base, anyone?
      xx

      Delete