Saturday 11 April 2020

Saturday, 11-04-20

Morning!

It was another 'meals in the garden' day yesterday.  I'm sure things taste better eaten outside.

I dipped the waffles in the yogurt and spooned the fruit on top.  Really lovely!
Food starts to get a lot more colourful at this time of year!
Just an ordinary fresh, crunchy salad, eaten in the sunshine.

And finally, dinner.  So delicious and loads left in terms of chicken (which I expected and wanted). sauce and stuffing.

Sauce:
I put cranberries, half an apple, chopped and half an orange, segmented and chopped, into a sauce pan with one tbsp demerara sugar and a splash of water and just let it all simmer away.  It was very nice and I have a little jar full left to enjoy with the rest of the chicken.  I'll call each portion one syn and that will cover it nicely.
The one tbsp sugar was plenty - the apple and the orange conveyed sweetness in their own way plus you don't want something like that to be too sweet.
The rest of the orange and apple went into a fruit salad which I was too full to eat so that's today's desserts, etc, sorted!

Stuffing:
I used 25g dried stuffing mix which I reconstituted.  I mixed in one Aldi skinny sausage (deskinned) and about a quarter of what was left of the apple, peeled and finely chopped.  It went into a suitable ovenproof dish with a slice of bacon laid over the top and I baked it for about 30 mins at 180C.  It's definitely made enough or two.  Each portion (it made two good portions) is two syns.

Today's plans:
B:  overnight oats with mixed fruit
SW:  one heB, half a syn for fruit yogurt

L:  coronation chicken salad; apple
Using some of the leftover chicken and this recipe from the fabulous BBC Good Food site, I will pile it onto shredded lettuce with other salady bits on the side.  I'll sub grapes for the sultanas as grapes are 'free'.
SW:  one syn for two tbsp very light mayo and one and a half syns for a level tbsp mango chutney

D:  chicken and veg pasta bake; fruit salad and yogurt
I may make this like Jamie did the other day, using leek and broccoli to make the sauce, adding some not-parmesan and lemon and mashing it all down.  He added tuna but I have chicken and I won't be making the fancy pasta, not yet anyway.
If you're interested, all the recipes that Jamie showcases on 'Keep Cooking and Carry On' are here.  Many of them are very adaptable - in fact, that's what they are designed to be.  Well worth a look, I think.
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/category/books/keep-cooking-and-carry-on/?cb=10-1744
SW:  one heA for the cheese (maybe a bit more!) and three syns for half a tbsp olive oil

S:  plums, easy peelers

Body Magic:  Not much.  Maybe a wee bit of gardening but I'll be careful as neck and shoulder are still sore.

Summary:
one to two heAs and one heB
six syns

I'll be stripping the roast chicken today and making a lovely stock with the carcass.  In the interests of freezer space, I will boil it right down to a thicker jelly stock and freeze in portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment