Sunday 19 April 2020

Sunday, 19-04-20

Good morning!

Yesterday's food.
Breakfast was just fruit and very nice it was too.

The baked bean falafels were really good.  The recipe, quartered, made ten falafels so I had five for lunch and I will have the other five today in a pitta.
I followed the recipe for the falafels pretty closely, just adding some finely grated lemon zest which worked well.  The mixture was a bit sloppy so I popped it in the fridge to chill for a while before shaping the balls and that worked fine.  They browned more on one side (the side touching the baking sheet so I probably should have turned them a bit more but it was fine.

I used all the drained off sauce, added what was required in the sauce recipe but didn't have any sriracha sauce so instead I added some Lea and Perrins, some soy sauce and a pinch of mustard powder.  I thought it needed a bit more zing so added more lemon juice and the result was lovely, both as a sauce for the coleslaw and as a dipping sauce.

This recipe would make a really good beanburger too - two, in fact - with added veg in it, if you wanted.  At 30p for a can of beans, it's very economical (assuming one already has the other things in) - around 3p a falafel is impressive.

Dinner, unfortunately, was a disaster.  Without going into details, I went to Morrisons and bought some - er - unfortunate things.  I suppose I enjoyed them at the time.  So no Jamie bake and probably no loss this coming week but never mind, it was one meal out of twenty one and I'm straight back on rack today!  Confession over!
Today's plans:
B:  bacon, mushroom and tomato
This will go down a treat after some allotment time.
SW:  free

L:  falafel salad pitta; apple
The rest of the falafels, coleslaw and dipping sauce from yesterday.  I intend to cut the pitta in half and pack each half with shredded lettuce, coleslaw and halved falafels with the dipping sauce drizzled in.  Maybe some tomato and cucumber on the side too.
SW:  Looking back to yesterday's syns (which I had half of, of course), it's two syns for the gram flour and half a syn for super light mayo.  Also one healthy extra B for a wholewheat pitta

D:  it has to be the Jamie recipe because I had thawed out the sausages and I'm not wasting them.
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/sausage-recipes/sausage-and-apple-bake/
SW:  one syn for two skinny sausages rather than three as it asks for chipolatas and these are thicker sausages, one syn for one tsp honey (or maybe half a syn and use agave nectar instead) and three syns for half a tbsp of olive oil.

S:  fruit

Body Magic:  I'm down the allotment this morning

Summary:
one heB - hmm, I might add some crumbled feta to the falafels for a heA
six and a half syns

You probably already know this bit . . .
I like to keep some butter in the freezer, just in case.  I gave my last frozen block of butter to daughter Beth as she'd asked me to get some when I did my shop and I forgot!

The trouble with freezing a whole pack of butter is that you have to thaw a whole pack of butter.  Even if you cut it into, say, four, that's still too much for SW.

I have some little chocolate moulds that I got for making beeswax hand bars.  I got one out and smoothed in some of the butter to make little pats.  It's now in the freezer and when it's completely hard, I will push the pats out and into a freezer bag or a lidded container.  I did the maths and each pat is three syns.  If I want to use one to have, for example, some butter between toast and marmite or to fry some mushrooms as a treat (mmmm - lovely), three syns is affordable and I don't have to thaw out a lot more which will then be eaten.

I'm assuming they will pop out of the silicon mould without any trouble and then I will do the same with the rest of the butter.
If they don't, I will just freeze measured dabs on easy leave instead - but I do like the idea of pretty shaped pats of butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment