Tuesday 14 April 2020

Tuesday, 14-04-20

Good morning.
Two, no, three bits of recent thriftiness.
On Sunday, when I boiled up the potato, swede and parsnip for the mash, instead of using just salted water, I had a little thunk and added a spoonful of vegetable bouillon powder to the cooking water.  What I ended up with was a lovely, thick, flavoursome vegetable stock with which I will make some soup.
Yesterday, I saw the the strawberries in the fridge were going a bit soft so first I turned some into part of a fruit salad and the rest I boiled up with the rhubarb from the allotment to make a most delicious stewed fruit mixture.  Strawberry and rhubarb is a flavour match made in heaven, isn't it.  So I have three portions in the freezer and one I had yesterday, folded into some natural yogurt.  Under one syn per portion.  Yay!
And then I thought I'd better check the raspberries and yes, they were going a bit too.  I cut up some for the fruit salad and the completely sound ones are also now in the freezer.
Waste not, want not!

Breakfast yesterday was scrambled egg on toast.  It was going to be boiled eggs but I dropped them both, would you believe, so salvaged what I could (all the yolk and most of the white) and scrambled them instead.

Lunch was leftovers of cottage pie plus an apple.


Dinner was diet cola chicken and I decided to have couscous with it.  A quarter cup of couscous, two quarter cups of boiling water and a tsp of chicken stock powder, mixed, covered and left for five minutes.  Dead easy and really nice.  I ought to have couscous more often.

The dessert was one of the portions o9f stewed rhubarb and strawberry, folded into natural yogurt.  Such a vibrant colour and very, very good.

A scrummy dinner!



Today's plans are:
B:  bacon and egg roll with tomatoes
SW:  one heB for the roll

L:  chicken salad, coleslaw; apple
I need some healthy extra A so I'll probably shred the chicken (leftovers from last week) and mix it with some primula squeezy cheese and maybe some chives from the garden
SW:  two or three syns for mayo and one heA

D:  salmon, cajun carrot and parsnip chips, veg of some kind; fruit salad and yogurt
I'm expecting a veg box delivery so we'll see what comes before deciding what to have
SW:  two syns for one tsp of oil in the actifry.

S:  the usual!

Body Magic:  down the allotment again, digging, forking and weeding.

Summary:
one or two heAs and one heB
five syns


4 comments:

  1. They all sound very tempting. I haven't bought couscous in ages as Tony claims not to like it. He is now thoroughly enjoying the banana pancakes so I might buy some couscous next time we shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that he likes the banana pancakes. I might try the apple ones anyway, just to get a different flavour.
      Good luck with the couscous.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I've got an Ainsley Harriot couscous in the cupboard it's out of date but I'll find a way of using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll most probably be absolutely fine! I like his couscous range.
      xx

      Delete