Sunday 19 July 2020

Do The Unthinkable - start up afternoon!

Morning!

Well it has arrived, on the doorstep exactly when they said it would.
Very well packed, loads of 'ice block' things with the chilled and frozen stuff packed away from the other stuff.

It may be easy on the culinary side but you have to put in some work, all the same.  I had printed off my order and ticked it all off (all complete), adding dates where appropriate.  The four frozen items went straight into the freezer and the rest is either in a box or chilling in the fridge.
I now have to read through the instructions and then plan when to use up the few meal kits that won't last out until Thursday.

 The stuff that came with the food
In the plastic and therefore disinfectable file are loads of recipe cards, all laminated, for future use.  Impressive.











First impressions are very favourable.


This is what I have for five days:
Breakfasts:
sausage, bean and potato pot
oaty quinoa porridge pot with cranberries and chia
golden syrup flavoured oaty quinoa porridge pot
milk chocolate crunch bar
protein bar

Morning snacks:
chocolate caramel protein bar
lemon drizzle cake protein balls
sweet chilli mountain chips
fruit, nut and seed
soft baked brownie with white chocolate chunks

Lunches:
bbq pulled pork and potato pot
chicken chow mein noodles
oriental chicken pad thai
nduja pork pasta meal kit
teriyaki salmon stir fry recipe kit

Afternoon snacks
air dried beetroot and apple cider vinegar crisps
spicy marinated chicken on a stick
Chinese marinated chicken on a stick
salt and balsamic vinegar bakes
smoky bbq zippers

Dinners:
ultimate fish and chips recipe kit
high protein mighty meaty pizza
chicken fajita rice pot
Chinese chicken curry recipe kit
shredded lemon chicken pasta meal kit

Evening snacks:
sweet chilli mountain chips
mountain chips
lemon and thyme halkidiki olives
chilli and rosemary halkidiki olives
salt and balsamic vinegar bakes


First thoughts:
It looks pretty varied, which I was aiming for in order to give it a good try out, and, although some of the morning snacks are sweet, all the others are more savoury based which suits me better.  I have to say, though, that my first feelings are that I would much rather not have the snacks and substitute some fresh fruit at those times but, on the other hand, the snacks do look rather good.

I'm glad I have so many meal/recipe kits.  I enjoy cooking and would miss it if I stopped entirely.  Bunging things in the microwave or oven to heat up really doesn't count, does it?  So really it is down to the quality of the meals and opinions seem to be varied on that.

Assuming I have the snacks, and I really must as a) I have paid for them and b) it won't be giving DTU a fair try out if I don't, I might play lucky dip with them sometimes.  You know - all in a bag and take pot luck.

I will be eating more calories than I have been doing recently but, (it says), the content is very high protein and low carb which (it says) makes a difference.  There will be the exercising as well, of course.
We will see, won't we?

I weighed yesterday morning and made a note of it in my diary.  It has five days to work some magic, starting with the first snack at four 0'clock.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, a very varied and interesting sounding selection - did you choose everything individually or was it get what you're given? I shall be following with interest. I hope you enjoy it all, Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make suggestions which I promptly deleted and started from scratch.
      That's me all over though. lol
      xx

      Delete
  2. That's a good selection of meals but not sure what I think about the three snacks a day. I hope the meals are tasty and you're not disappointed. It should be an interesting week for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the snacks but I'll give it all a go and see. Very first impressions are good.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It will be interesting to see what you think at the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I'm reserving judgement until Thursday evening/Friday morning. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to your appraisal when you've put the meals together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      After some initial reservations, I'm really looking forward to the next five days now.
      xx

      Delete