Monday 13 July 2020

Monday, 13-07-20

Good morning!

Yesterday's photos:

A tasty and very filling breakfast, worth the extra work it took.
It would have been nice with some onion chutney - I'll remember that for next time.
Lunch was this.  I don't actually have a photo of the meal itself as none of the photos I took looked anything other than slop.  Just slop.
Unfortunately, it tasted rather as it looked (in my opinion).  The first mouthful was not great and very quickly I became aware of the most overwhelmingly artificial tomato-ey taste, overly 'sweet' in a synthetic way.  There were woody bits of vegetable (aubergine, I think), lentils that were not properly cooked and no roasted flavour whatsoever.  Just nasty, to be honest and it took ages to get rid of the after-taste of the little I had.
Unsurprisingly, I couldn't manage more than that very little bit and the rest went in the bin - what a waste.  That's one I won't be buying again, for sure.
It's thrown the calories right out, of course, but at least I've saved a few syns.  To make up a bit, I had some cherries that really did need eating but I really didn't fancy much else.

Half way through the afternoon I set to make the teriyaki sauce.   If you follow that recipe I would say just two things.  Firstly, DON'T add as much sweetener as it says - just don't.  Secondly, be careful with the chilli.
The first batch I made was horrible.  Far too sweet and too hot.  I could have managed the heat but not the sweetness so, sadly, it went down the drain.
The second attempt was great, much more successful and the resulting dinner was truly delicious.  You don't need much as it's a strong flavoured sauce so I have three portions left.  It'll be great with chicken, as a marinade, with salmon - really versatile.  I recommend it - but beware the sweetener (I just put in a pinch and, probably, it would be fine with none at all or just a little squirt of something natural - hone or agave nectar maybe) and go easy on the chilli flakes!

So - the resulting calories . . .
The planned meals came to 1247 cals
However, I took back 278 calories for the lunch I didn't have.
The cherries came to around 35 calories.
So, calculator to the fore, the final score for yesterday was 1004 calories.  Not enough but there you go!  Today will be better (I hope).

Today's plans:
For the next few days, I will be having those ready meals for lunch and using up what I have in the fridge for dinner so not necessarily anything all that exciting.  There's veg and other stuff that really needs using up.

B:  overnight oats
Just what is says - mix together, cover and leave overnight in the fridge.  So easy and very satisfying too.

20g oats = 77 cals
yogurt = 80 approx
150 g mixed berries = 75 cals
50 mls semi skimmed milk = 24 cals
total = 256 cals
SW:  half a heB for the oats and half a syn for the yogurt plus a bit of heA for the milk

L:  salmon with spiced roasted cauliflower; fruit
I have a small piece of cooked fresh salmon that needs using up so I thought I'd team it with the pack of cauliflower.  The whole pack is supposed to be for two but I'm having the lot 'cos I'm a little piggy-wig!

the cauliflower mixture = 104 cals
salmon = 155 cals
30g superlight mayo = 30 cals
fruit = 55 cals approx
total = 344 cals
SW:  three and a half syns for the cauliflower pack and one syn for the mayo

D:  meatballs in tomato sauce, protein noodles, green beans and broccoli
The idea is to make some meatballs using two skinny sausages and the remaining bacon medallion plus some finely chopped onion, mushroom and red pepper.  I've knocked up a sauce with some tomatoes , roasted, and more onion, etc and will have it all with the protein noodles plus the green beans and broccoli on the side.  30g grated cheese on top will just finish it off.
It'll be all about the seasonings really.

two skinny sausages = 142 cals
one bacon medallion = 52 cals
one onion = 35 cals
red pepper = 25 cals
mushrooms = 5 cals
half a tbsp oil for roasting = 60 cals
200g tomatoes = 38 cals
100g green beans = 24 cals
100g broccoli = 30 cals
protein noodles = 22 cals
grated cheese - 125 cals
yogurt = 80 cals approx
total = 638  cals
SW:  one syn for the sausages, three for the oil, one for the noodles (they're actually two and a half for the pack and yesterday's I counted at one and a half) and half for the yogurt.  One heA for the cheese

S:  none

Body Magic:  Working down the allotment

Summary:
one and a bit heA and half heB
ten and a half syns
1238 cals - better than yesterday!


2 comments:

  1. Morning Joy. One thing I've noticed about some of the PoN recipes - they quite often use sweetener, even in savoury dishes. I just think "Why bother?" and leave it out. But that's just me, being diabetic I gave up sugar and even sweeteners a long time ago. What a disappointment about the higgedy ready meal, it sounded really nice! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do and usually I disregard it or use loads less. It's often with tomatoes, isn't it and sometimes tomatoes can have a bitter edge that the sweetener balances, but not to that degree!
      I was very disappointed and not happy about the wasted money but at least now I know. It's the sort of thing I might have bought for Beth but not now! :-)
      You live and learn!
      xx

      Delete