Friday 10 July 2020

Friday, 10-07-20

Good morning
 It's funny, isn't it, how you can sometimes just tell straight away that it's going to be a difficult day, food-wise.
Some people call them 'hungry' days although it's not exactly hunger, just a 'need' to eat.  I'm not sure what causes it; it might be the weather, it might be hormones (but not for me nowadays!) or emotional upsets but it's a day where one needs to tread carefully and be alert.

It's on days like yesterday that I am very thankful that I don't have a lot of extra snacky bits and bobs in the house.

What's your strategy on days like that?
Mine are:
  • to be flexible - things might need to be changed/moved around
  • to make myself eat slowly - the old adage of chewing each mouthful twenty times has a ring of helpfulness about it, as does taking small mouthfuls and leaving time between them.  They say it takes about twenty minutes for the tum to register that it feels full so I try to give myself that twenty minutes
  • to drink plenty of fluid (and stay near a loo afterwards!)
  • to use a smaller plate - silly, I know, but if the plate looks fuller, it can help my sense of satisfaction
  • to keep busy
How do you handle it?
Yesterday's photos:

I changed my plans.  I worked out that I could have four babybel lights for two eggs almost to the same calories so I had two with my toast and saved the other two for later on.
The restricted eating went by the board too as I knew I'd have to be in the car heading off to a friends by 9:30 so I ate at nine.


I had one of the remaining two babybels at around twelve thirty . . .

. . . and the other after this gorgeous bowl of soup (and what was left in the saucepan) for lunch.
No piece of fruit as I'd had it at breakfast.


By the time the Zoom meeting came along (half a pound off - better than on, anyway), things had stabilised and everything felt normal again.

I'm glad I swapped items around a bit - I think it helped.

And this was dinner.  I ate the lot, thoroughly enjoyed it, had the yogurt too and felt perfectly satisfied.

So the end of day calorie count was pretty much what I'd planned - 1291 calories and I did have a heA in the babybels, after all





Today's plans:
B:  fruit and yogurt
It's a bit tight today because I will have to eat quickly sandwiched between two events so fruit and yogurt is the way to go, I think.

apple = 50 cals
orange = 55 cals
yogurt = 80 cals
total = 185 cals
SW:  half a syn

L:  minestrone soup, bread roll; apple
The same as yesterday and jolly nice, the soup used up all sorts of bits and bobs.  There's one remaining portion in the freezer for another wet day sometime.

portion of soup = 135 cals
bread roll = 158 cals (ish)
apple = 50 cals
total = 343 cals
SW:  one heB

D:  sweet and sour chicken, stir fry veg, rice; yogurt
I have half of the sweet and sour sauce I made a week or so ago in the freezer which will be just right with chicken and Chinese veg.

the sauce = 70 cals
chicken fillet = 330 cals but it's  big fillet and I may not have all of it)
stir fry veg - 25 cals
rice (50g dry) = 178 cals
yogurt = 80 cals
total = 683 cals
SW:  three syns for the sauce

S:  none

Body Magic:  step, a walk

Summary:
one healthy extra B (no A but plenty of yogurt)
three and a half syns
1211 calories

13 comments:

  1. Morning Joy. Hungry days - I'm learning to deal with them better. I accept that it's happening and go with the flow, but try to do it in a controlled way. I have a small amount of what I want - a matchbox size piece of cheese or 3 or 4 squares of chocolate eg. I tell myself I can have some more in 30 mins time - if I still want it. Then I get on and do something to keep me occupied whilst waiting. 9 times out of 10, by the time 30 mins has passed I've either forgotten about it or the urge has passed. It seems to be working. Just giving myself permission to have a small indulgence, with the option to have a bit more if I still want it after 30 mins seems to be the key for me. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually choose to have something to drink first and that quite often works, even if I only drink water. I don't keep snacks in the house so I'm not tempted to give in to the wrong things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto re the snacks. I find if I keep that sort of thing in, I just eat them, regardless.
      xx

      Delete
  3. If I have those days I just go with it. I listen to my body, if it needs rest I rest, if it needs movement I get up and do something, if it needs food then I eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is, it doesn't need food, it wants food. Not quite the same thing, although I know what you mean. :-)
      xx

      Delete
    2. I just don't worry about it if it's one day. As James Clear (author of Atomic Habits) says one day is one day, two days is the start of a new habit.

      Delete
    3. That's a very good point, thank you.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Usually I go up into my craft room and make cards or sew something. It takes my mind off. Sometimes though I just have to eat and I thank my lucky stars that I don't keep crisps in the cupboard. I would eat an entire family size bag without stopping for breath. I can ignore biscuits and chocolate as I am more a savoury person. A slice of toast with marmite is my savoury choice these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so could I. Crisps and nice chilled dry white are downfalls, especially together! I don't go big on the desserts and chocolate, as you may have noticed.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I definitely have 'hungry' days. I used to tell the children when they clamoured for something to eat that it wasn't hunger, it was appetite. I try to tell myself that but it doesn't work very well.....sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm smiling ruefully as I read this . . . so very true.
      xx

      Delete
  6. As you say, sometimes it really is just one of those days!
    I think what you say is true - maintaining can be just as challenging as losing sometimes, maybe for different reasons. After all, so many people re-gain the weight and it is a little worry at the back of my mind as I near target.
    It's one reason why I try to enjoy my food now - not as a means to an end but as a lifestyle choice and one that I will want to continue into the future.
    xx

    ReplyDelete