Sunday 6 September 2020

Sunday, 06-09-20

Morning!

The meatballs yesterday were lovely so I thought I'd share.  I couldn't find any mince in Dad's freezer but he did have some beef sausages so I used three of those, took off the skin, added some softened onion well chopped and shaped the mix into ten meatballs which I baked in the oven.
The sauce was a stack of garden tomatoes chopped up, cooked with some onion, a bit of butter and some Marigold stock powder until all soft and mushy.  Pushed though a sieve, it made a great passata.  I added soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and mustard powder, a bit of chilli and some lemon juice, popped in the cooked meatballs and let it all simmer gently for half an hour.
Really delicious with some rice, carrots and courgettes and there was enough left over to make another meal for Dad so it's now in the freezer.
The apple and blackberry crumble was rather nice too.  Ditto with the leftovers - two portions.  Dad won't starve!

Today's menu is:
B:  fruit and yogurt or kvarg
When it gets colder, I sill swap over to porridge but right now, fruit and yogurt is perfect for my breakfasts at Dad's.

L:  Maybe beans on toast - I rather fancy beans on toast.

D:  lamb leg steak, cheesy leeks and new potatoes
Dad's garden leeks are looking fantastic so I'll be pulling some to make the cheesy leeks.  I've looked up the recipe to refresh my memory and you steam or boil the leeks, make the cheese sauce the usual way, put the two together and bake for about fifteen minutes so nice and easy!
(I'm taking a few leeks home with me too.)

What with the meals and the occasional g&t and/or white wine, this is not proving a good SW friendly weekend but I'm OK with that.  Real life - you know!  I'll be back on it good and proper tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment