Thursday 10 September 2020

Thursday, 10-09-20

 Good morning! 
It's Slimming World weigh-day today and, while I know I will have gained a little bit, I'm really not fussed.  How's that for freedom, eh?  It actually feels great, not having to work to not stress (does that make sense?) over any 'misdemeanours' during the past weekend.  I guess that's what properly hitting target does.
Yes, I have to be aware - is the word 'mindful'- and I have to generally take care to remain a healthy eater, but that's what I want to do so it feels in no way a penance or hard work.
Blimey - what a turn around for the book, eh?

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast was good old fashioned beans on toast.  I had added some bbq sauce to the beans the day before which zings up the flavour somewhat and this was most satisfying.

Lunch was instant soup, easy peelers and rather snatched so I took no photos.
Dinner was surprisingly tasty.  The turkey burgers were nicer than I remembered, baked in the oven which was on for the cheesy leeks anyway.

The tomato-veg sauce was some quartered tomatoes, a sliced roasted red pepper from a jar and some sliced mushrooms with garlic and onion granules, tomato puree, cajun spice, salt and pepper and I just let it simmer slowly until thickened.

If I had left the cheesy leeks in the baking dish, it would have looked amazing but I chose to spoon it out and it turned into looking like a dog's dinner but it was so good here's what I did.
I cleaned the leeks (thanks, Dad) and lay them in a small baking dish before covering and cooking for four minutes in the microwave.  While they were softening, I made the cheese sauce with about 50 mls semi skimmed milk and four Laughing Cow light triangles (one healthy extra A in total) which I heated in a small pan, stirring with a mini whisk until the cheese was all melted and the sauce had turned creamy.  It was a little bit runny so I added a level tsp of thickening granules (one syn) which worked its usual magic.
I poured the sauce over the softened leeks, sprinkled over some grated cheddar for another healthy extra A and baked it in the oven for around 30 mins until it was all thick, bubbly and browned on top.  It was gorgeous!

Next time, I will turn this into a main dish by adding maybe some sliced mushroom and some bacon, ham or chicken.  So good!


Today's food plans:
It's weigh day so light meals until dinner!

B:  yogurt and fruit
No explanation needed!
SW:  half a syn for the yogurt
200 calories

L:  soup; apples
Beth's round for lunch.  I have the last bean and veg soup for her and a non-vegetarian butter bean and veg soup for me.  
SW:  the soup is free and speed and the apples will be speed too.
I'm estimating 300 calories - Beth's soup has the calories written on the pot but mine doesn't!

D:  chicken and veg pasta bake
Unusually at the moment, I'm going for proper pasta, good, filling wholewheat pasta of some kind.  I have taken some cooked chicken out of the freezer and will shred that and add it to a sauce that is very similar to the tomato sauce I made yesterday but with a bit more veg, mix it all into the cooked pasta, sprinkle over 30g grated cheese and bake for a short while in the oven.  An all in one meal.
SW:  one healthy extra A, perhaps two syns for a tsp of toasted sesame oil
Working out calories is trickier so I don't think I will bother.  I know it's all good, wholesome stuff so that's fine.  Freedom!

Now tuition has resumed, the 'need' for an afternoon snack has more or less disappeared on those days ad I'm too busy.

Body Magic:  I have a half hour swim booked for this morning.

Summary:
one healthy extra A
two and a half syns
no calories for now although I might work them out while I make the dish - probably not though.


4 comments:

  1. Cheesy leeks - oh yum! I made a cheesy leek quiche yesterday and very nice it was - a food match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm - it sounds simply gorgeous. How lovely! Leeks and cheese are, indeed, a magical flavour combination.
      Now I have a cheese sauce that I like (apart from the calorific conventional one, I might make some single layer lasagnes. Also yum!
      xx
      xx

      Delete
  2. I don't often buy leeks (they are quite expensive here as you have to buy a bunch, not sold individually) but I am tempted to try your recipe with some chicken. Your chicken and pasta bake sounds good too. Isn't it nice when food looks and tastes good, and is also healthy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a thought, you could slice the extra and freeze, or even par-cook them and freeze them in single helpings.
      The pasta bake was very tasty and, as the cooler weather comes along, I can see myself making more of that sort of meal again - a few more carbs are definitely more warming!
      It is good, isn't it? And all this making from scratch is, as well as being healthy, a lot easier on the budget too. That's what I find anyway!
      xx

      Delete