Tuesday 13 October 2020

Recipe: Katsu curry


Thank you to Wagamama.  They shared their recipe for Katsu curry earlier this year and here's a link to a clip from the Independent showing it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/wagamama-katsu-curry-recipe-how-make-cooking-chef-tutorial-video-a9489466.html

I adapted it to make enough for one and also to make it more SW friendly but - work of warning - I used what I had which may not be what you have.  Still, curries are very adaptable.

So, first of all, the adaptations, both for SW and for a single portion.  
Feel free to scroll past!  I wish I know how to insert a link to the recipe.

I cut the oil.  A shame but oil and SW don't mix well.  I used spray oil instead.  It's OK, you just have to take things slowly and be prepared to spray a bit more, if needed, or add a splash of water.
I used garlic puree and ginger paste.  
When it came to the 'mild curry powder' I searched my spices before remembering that last clear out I had thrown away some very, very old curry powder that hardly had any aroma left.  I then searched my box of Queen Spice and JD Seasonings spice mixes and found a 'Vegetable Curry' mix which looked pretty generic, so I used that.
I cut the flour entirely.  To create thickness and add a bit of speed, I used a bit of roasted red pepper from a jar and a mushroom, both finely chopped, plus a small (chantenay-style) carrot, grated.
I used chicken stock powder and a splash of water.
When it came to the coconut milk (which I deemed necessary for flavour), I remembered that in the freezer I had part of a bag of 'Coconut milk smoothie pellets' so I used three which came to (according to the back of the pack) one and a half syns.  Sadly, they don't appear to make them any more.  I also have some coconut milk powder (Maggi) which I thoroughly recommend - one tsp is two syns so I would spend three syns on half a tbsp happily.
I used 1/4 tsp agave nectar instead of sugar and dark soy sauce instead of light.  I would say the sweet addition does enhance the flavour.
With the chicken, I used half a large breast, cut it across, butterfly fashion, to make two slices and battered each slice out thin.  I used one beaten and seasoned egg and some home made wholemeal  breadcrumbs.  I weighed out one healthy extra's worth but threw loads away afterwards so I'm reckoning it was half a healthy extra B.
No oil, no flour.
Finally, I used cauliflower rice because I had half a pouch of it to use up.


The recipe (finally)
Ingredients to make one portion
spray oil as needed
small amount of onion, roasted red pepper, mushroom and carrot, all chopped very small or grated
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/4 tsp garlic puree (or to own taste)
1 tsp any mild-ish curry powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
some chicken stock powder and a splash of water to dilute
1/2 tbsp coconut powder (three syns) or to own taste.  One level tsp is two syns.
a splash of soy sauce
1/4 tsp agave nectar. (or sweetener of own choice - but not a lot)
seasonings to own taste

chicken breast, butterfly cut into two slices and battered out thin
one egg, beaten and seasoned
wholemeal breadcrumbs (easy to make fresh)
more spray oil.

Method.
I would advise making the sauce in the morning or the day before.  As will all curries, the flavour improves over time.

To make the sauce, warm up some spray oil in a non stick pan, add the onion, pepper, mushroom and carrot and sizzle it slowly until it's all going soft.  Add more spray oil or a splash of water, if you want.
Turn up the heat a bit and add the ginger, garlic, curry powder and turmeric, mix well and allow to cook out for a few minutes, stirring.
Add the stock powder and some water and let it simmer slowly until the vegetables are soft.
mix in the coconut milk powder, soy sauce and agave nectar.  
Blend it all well.  I used a stick blender in its own beaker.  It's not a huge amount so I suspect a big blender would be too big but if you have a mini blender, that would do.
Once smooth, check seasonings and adjust, add more water if it's too thick (carefully) and then tip into a container, cover, cool and pop in the fridge until needed.

For the chicken, preheat the oven to around 200C.
Dip the flattened chicken first in the seasoned beaten egg and then into the breadcrumbs.  Lay the chicken on a sprayed non stick oven dish and spray more oil over the top.
Pop it in the oven for around half an hour, turning the slices over after about twenty minutes.

While the chicken is cooking, cook whatever rice you are using to the pack instructions and re-heat the sauce to piping hot.

When the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and cut into thin strips.  Serve with the rice and the sauce.  For colour, add some garnish - salad leaves or some finely spiralised carrot or other veg - whatever you fancy, in fact.


SW values:
around half of a healthy extra B for fresh breadcrumbs
three syns for half a tbsp Maggi coconut milk powder (or use some from a can and work out your own syns)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Joy, I'm going to make it on Thursday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it as much as I did. It's definitely on my list of regulars now.
      xx

      Delete
  2. That looks absolutely delicious. Dishes don't have to be fat laden. I think spices are more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree although sometimes oil brings out the flavour more. That's why I like to make spicy sauces before hand and let them 'mature' for half a day or overnight. I think it makes a big difference.
      It was lovely and I've already planned it in again next week. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  3. I can almost smell that. Every time I read your blog it looks so tasty that immediately I feel hungry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's such a lovely thing to say and I feel the same about your blog too - you make such good things.
      xx

      Delete