Saturday 10 October 2020

Saturday, 10-10-20, last day and some breakfast ideas

 Good morning.

As it says in the heading, today is the last full holiday day and, if I am perfectly honest, I can't wait to get some food control back.  In every other way, it's been absolutely great and the food has also been good but . . . I just want to be back in my own happy space again.

Doesn't that sounds ungrateful?  I'm truly not, but enough is enough.  A big part of my self control strategy is just not having certain stuff there and available and making sure that there's loads of fresh fruit and veg around, plenty of herbs and spices to choose from and knowing in advance what I'm having.

Roll on tomorrow around midday/early afternoon.

Talking of knowing in advance, one of the comparative difficulties I have is thinking of breakfasts.  I love breakfasts but sometimes, when planning, my mind goes blank.  
So before I wrote this entry, I sat down and made a list of all the breakfasts I really like and know how to make without any fuss and bother.
You can find some breakfast recipes under the 'recipe links' tab at the top.  Feel free to look.

Anyway - here's my list and there's plenty for me to choose from in the coming week - no excuses and I have supplies in the freezer.

Fruit platter and yogurt - something I have learnt anew this week is that small amounts and variety makes for a very satisfying plate so I must plan my shopping maybe a bit more carefully so that I have that variety, either fresh or frozen

Porridge with fruit - now that the colder and gloomier mornings are returning, porridge cravings (is there such a thing?  Definitely!) are returning.  Porridge made half and half with semi skimmed and water, spiced or flavoured (good old skinny syrups) with a dollop of natural yogurt and some fruit on top.  Lovely!

Linked to the above, overnight oats.  More or less the same thing but without the water, mixed in a kilner jar for posh effect (never underestimate the Power of Presentation, even for breakfast) and either taken refreshingly cold or warmed up a bit.

Breakfast toastie.  This is a bit SW costly, using up healthy extras A and B, but if you want a bit of crunch, there's nothing like it.  And now I can use my new toy in the microwave.  Alternatively, use panini, wrap or pitta for variation.  If you use breakfast foods, it works for breakfast!  Bacon, tomato, slices of sausage, mushroom, bit of black pudding . . . and maybe edam or gouda instead of cheddar, for a continental effect.

Pancakes or waffles.  Same recipe, different way of cooking and served with fruit and, maybe, yogurt.  So many variations of flavour and texture.

Breakfast bake - essentially, cubes of fried potato (leftovers works really well), topping a mix of breakfasty food in some baked beans with added spices and popped in the oven for a short time to get to bubblingly hot,

Mushroom (or other) omelette - I use my lovely and molto cheapo omelette maker from Aldi and usually have tomatoes on the side.

Smoked haddock and poached (or spray fried) egg - I had it this week and decided I must make it a regular event.

Smoothie - essentially oats, yogurt and fruit and veg, all zizzed together.  No, I don't syn blended fruit!

Scrambled eggs with additions - smoked salmon would be nice or bacon bits or smoked meat . . . whatever you fancy, in fact.

Breakfast burger/muffin/bagel/wrap/pitta - just make sure it's a healthy extra B for the whole SW experience!  I like bacon medallions, a spray fried egg and some sliced tomatoes and mushrooms - like the toastie but without the crunch and grilled lines pattern.  A bit of ketchup or brown sauce also goes down well but remember to syn it.

What would you add to that list?

(sending early because I can't sleep!)



6 comments:

  1. I can't sleep either, Joy. Blimmin nuisance isn't it. I'm not really a big breakfast eater, never have been. One favourite breakfast though is overnight oats with a couple of dried apricots snipped into small pieces, soaked with soya milk overnight. In the morning I add a sprinkle of flaked almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and a dessertspoonful of Greek yogurt. Sometimes I add a dusting of cocoa powder too. Hope you can get back to sleep, I'm going to try again soon. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thank you. I've still woken early but not to worry. I can rest later on. How about you? I hope you are sound asleep again now.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I like a dippy egg with soldiers for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot that - it's tasty, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  3. We are creatures of routine and that includes our food, meal times etc. So I completely understand how you feel. An all inclusive holiday is great for a few days and then it becomes all very SAMEY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, routine is very comforting, I think.
      xx

      Delete