Wednesday 24 October 2018

Take one tin of tuna!

OK, bit complicated, but it started with a tin of tuna.

I used half of it mixed with 40g light cheddar and some softened onion, plus two small wholemeal sliced, some sprays of oil, a bit of Lea and Perrins and one wedge of Dairylea light to make a toastie for lunch and jolly nice it was too.

As you can tell from the photo!
SW:  healthy extras A and B and one and a half syns for the dairylea light that I spread on the bread for inside.

I pondered over the other half of the can of tuna and also remembered that I had made some breadcrumbs with another small slice of wholemeal because I want to egg and breadcrumb my fish tonight.
You get an awful lot of breadcrumbs from one small slice.  And you don't need a whole egg for one piece of cod.
I didn't want to waste anything

Then I remembered.  I often make simple salmon fishcakes for my mum because she will eat them happily.  It's just homemade mash, home cooked salmon and butter, mixed together, shaped, egged and breadcrumbed.  You cook them by spraying them in oil before either cooking them in a pan or baking them in the oven.
Swap salmon for tuna, butter for 40g Dairylea light plus some of the softened onion made for the toastie and lo and behold, four tuna fishcakes for the freezer, one syn each.


Today, the cod may be costly but it's been a frugal day as well - hardly any waste.  That's what it's all about!


No comments:

Post a Comment