Tuesday 23 October 2018

Tuesday, 23-10-18

Good morning.
I always like 23rds - it's the day my teacher's pension goes in each month.  I don't start using it until the new month but it provides a sort of financial overlap between the last week of one month and the start of the next.  It's reassuring.

Yesterday's dinner turned out to be a kidney bean and vegetable curry and some basmati rice, both dug out of the freezer.  To up the speed veg I roughly chopped some spinach I found on special earlier and wilted it in the curry before serving.  It was lovely.  Not authentic, admittedly, but I don't care.

Today's food plans:
B:  bacon, egg and tomatoes
The tomatoes are still from the garden - will they ever stop?
SW:  all free

L:  carrot and butternut squash soup, wholemeal roll
From the freezer, made a few weeks ago and I will be making it again as it's delish.  I didn't post the recipe earlier but it' the bog-standard method - onion, celery, carrot, the main ingredients (more carrot and butternut squash) and some stock and seasonings, all boiled up together and zizzed.
(I also have a recipe for roasted butternut squash and butterbean soup which I seem to remember was absolutely scrummy too - must do it again!)
I'm so glad the weather is right for soups again.
SW:  the soup is free and the roll is my healthy extra B

D:  vegetable stew with macaroni cheese topping
Beth is round for dinner so it's vegetarian this evening.  A nice mix of veg with pulses (probably chick peas) and I shall cook some macaroni, melt some cheese wedges into it, spoon it over the vegetables, top it with some grated cheese and bake it until the cheese is melting and browning.
Pretty frugal as much vegetarian food is.
SW:  The bottom is all free as is the macaroni, the Dairylea will be my healthy extra A and the grated cheddar on top will be three syns.

Snacks:  fruit - apple and orange as that's what I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment