Monday 31 December 2018

Monday, 31-12-18 and that 'just like Heinz' soup

Good morning.
Well, it's the last day of 2018, a year that has changed my life considerably.  I started the year in pain/discomfort, facing an operation and starting to lose weight but with a long way to go.
I finish it still losing weight but within sight of my target, almost within a healthy BMI, gallbladder free and a lot fitter and healthier.
 I'm certainly ending the year in a much better place.

This blog is still about being a bit frugal, making the most of what you have got and enjoying your food, albeit with a leaning towards the Slimming World way most of the time now - it's the same and also different.

I'm not into resolutions really but I want to keep on what I'm doing - healthy eating, a bit of exercise and minimising waste to increase basic frugality.  And while on the subject pf waste, I think the size of my portions is creeping up a bit so I shall watch that one carefully.
Accountability in here will remain an important part of it all and I'd like to thank my followers and readers for - well - following, reading, commenting and keeping me accountable!!

So here's today's plans, the last of 2018:
B:  beans on toast, apple or orange
That's about a third of a can of beans (I'll freeze the rest in two portions) and one small slice of toast.  I might spread the toast with a little bit of dairylea light as it stops the toast getting soggy as well as going well with the beans.
SW:  half my healthy extra B for the bread and a little bit of healthy extra A for the cheese spread.

L:  turkey and veg soup with 25g grated cheddar sprinkled over, slice of toast for dunking
This is from the freezer, made last week, and if I say 25g, that compensates for the bit of dairylea as a healthy extra A is 30g cheese
SW:  almost one healthy extra A and the other half healthy extra B

D:  baked salmon, sprouts, carrot and parsnip chips, yogurt and fruit
OK, so they're not chips at all, just frylight roasted veg, but it's psychological, innit?  No?  Oh, OK, it isn't!  :-)
Anyway, whatever I call it, they will be delicious!  It's still Christmas veg - I really did get way too much!
SW:  I'll have some Tesco light seafood sauce on the salmon which will be two and a half syns.

Ss:  30g cheddar to nibble (the other healthy extra A), fruit/veg


I've finally got round to making the legendary SW 'just like Heinz' tomato soup.  It looks weird, all made from cans, but people say it is lovely so I popped off to Morrisons to get . . .
2 tins of tomatoes
1 tin baked beans
1 tin of carrots
a jar of pickled onions (yes, really - you use three or four)
All of the above were in the Savers' range and came to £1.29
To that I added some stock, some water, plus a few extras - a bit of garlic puree and a squidge of tomato puree.
All you do is boil them all up together and zizz them down and I then pushed the lot through a sieve because that's what I usually do.
It was surprisingly nice and, yes, quite Heinz-y in flavour if not totally in texture.  It made six good portions which will freeze OK because there's nothing in it that doesn't and cost under 25p per portion.  When I reheat a portion, I will add a splash of milk for more 'creaminess'.

If you're partying tonight, have a great time!




3 comments:

  1. Am going to make that soup! Thank-you for posting the recipe. Wishing us all a Happy and Lighter New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure - I'm glad it is useful. I'll drink to that (in diet coke)!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Yum! Good affordable foods. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete