Thursday 19 March 2020

Recipe: a very rambly casserole.

This is what I posted in our local closed SW FaceBook page.  I thought I may as well share it here; it's nothing special but it is tasty.
This is how I had half a portion for lunch, with couscous.  Really tasty.


This is a really useful (and pretty casual) batch recipe that I made yesterday. The amount you make depends on how much you put into it.

I used oil.  One (level!) tbsp is six syns, which is fine when you make a big batch. You can use spray oil.
Saute your veg. I used onion, carrot, red and green pepper, baby corn, mange tout, and mushrooms.

Add chopped chicken (or any meat, really) and fry, stirring, until the meat is coloured. Add lentils for extra (and cheap) protein, if you want. 
(I added some turkey bits from Christmas too plus a bit of chorizo)

Add herbs and seasonings. If using spices, add them at the end of the saute veg stage. I used a Spanish chicken herb mix that I had and I also added garlic granules, salt and pepper.

Add chopped tomatoes and water, some stock powder or stock pot and some tomato puree.
Bung it all in a slow cooker (if you have one) and leave till it's all done and thickened. Or it can go in a low oven or on a low ring.

I've listed the veg I used but really you can use anything you have/fancy - a great way to up your speed veg. It's nice with stalks that you might otherwise throw away, like broccoli or cauliflower stalks - just dice them and chuck them in.

You can use this mix on pasta, rice, couscous, etc; as a topping for a jacket potato; under a mashy topping, in a pie, as a filling for a sort of cannelloni, wrapped in those thin omelettes; even as a filling and chunky soup (add a bit more water for more liquid; or just on its own with more veg (spiralised or not). If you have a heA to use up, sprinkle over grated cheese. If you want a 'thicker' meal, just sieve off some of the liquid and use it as a gravy for another meal.

Apart from any oil you might use, this should be a SW free meal. Choose your veg carefully and it could be SP friendly as well.

And, to finish, portion it out and freeze - it freezes really well.

1 comment: