Sunday 8 March 2020

Recipe: wholemeal Yorkshire puddings

As with the pancake recipe, here's the reasoning:
  • oat pancakes are very tasty but they're not the same
  • a healthy extra of bread is 60g wholemeal bread
  • 60g wholemeal bread contains between 35 and 40 g wholemeal flour (I know this from my breadmaking)
  • 35g wholemeal flour is 120 calories
  • therefore, one can and ought to be able to (in my humble opinion) use 35g-40g wholemeal flour as a healthy extra B
Whether you accept this is up to you.  It's not part of the Slimming World rules, it's my adjustment, so if you're at all concerned, syn the flour.

Equally, a purist might very well shudder at the thought of using wholemeal flour for a Yorkshire pud.  However, if you use white flour, it definitely has to be synned!


Wholemeal Yorkshire puddings
Ingredients to make four muffin tin sized puds as in the photo
40g wholemeal plain flour (not strong flour)
one egg
50mls milk (a quarter of a heA of semi-skimmed)
oil (I used rapeseed) - half a tsp for each pudding so that's one syn per pud
seasonings

Method:
Heat oven to 230C
Carefully pour half a tsp oil into four compartments of a muffin tin.
Measure the flour into a bowl, add the egg and milk and whisk until it's smooth and creamy looking.  Add seasonings and whisk again.  Leave to stand.

Put the tin in the oven to heat up the oil to sizzling hot.

Pour the batter into the compartments (it should sizzle as it goes in) and put the tin quickly back into the oven.
Leave them to cook for around twenty minutes (don't open the oven door) by which time they should be well risen, crunchy and done.  If necessary, when they're done, turn the heat right down and leave to keep warm.

Serve with your roast dinner.


I find a couple is enough for me so the other two go in the freezer for another time.  When needed, heat the oven to around 200, put the puds on an ovenproof tray and reheat.

So each pud is
one syn
a tiny bit of heA (one eighth)
a quarter of a heB

(I don't have a gizmo that allows one to print recipes but, if you highlight the relevant part and right click, there should be a 'print' option in the drop-down box that allows you to print just the highlighted part)

6 comments:

  1. Well I never knew that I could use wholemeal flour for Yorkshire puds. I have a huge bag of chapatti flour which is simply finely milled wholemeal. (says so on the packet) I will give it a go and see how they come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them - I thought they were great. The do have that 'worthy' colour about them, sort of brown and wholesome, which one might have to get used to!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I'd never thought of using wholemeal flour for Yorkies, although I quite often use it half and half in most other things. I will do it now though, thanks. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth giving it a try anyway, isn't it? I hope you like them.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Sound delicious, Joy. I love a Yorkshire pud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had any for ages so really enjoyed them.
      xx

      Delete