Thursday 19 March 2020

Thursday, 19-03-20

Good morning.
With things in their current state, it becomes more important to use what I have rather then buying new stuff all the time (assuming one can find what one needs) so,  for a while, sometimes it might look as if I'm being very unfrugal.  However, it will be what I already have and am determined to use up, rather than new stuff (usually).  I won't change the name of the blog but it might not always sounds terribly frugal.

Our closed SW facebook group livened up considerably today with lots of to and fro between people.  I think there will be plenty of group support, just not face to face stuff.  Jennifer plans to do some real time stuff when the meetings should be and the general feeling was one of 'we can do this'.

Dave didn't come round after all yesterday.  He did give me plenty of notice but I'd already started thawing the chicken so I went ahead with making the meal anyway.  I sauted onion, carrot, red and green pepper, baby corn and mange tout, added a herb mix called Spanish chicken and garlic granules, salt and pepper, chucked in the chopped chicken, a bit of chorizo finely chopped and two cans of chopped tomatoes plus chicken stock powder and some tomato puree.  The chicken looked lost among all those vegetables so I rummaged in the freezer and got out two pots of turkey 'bits' (from the carcass at Christmas) and added them too before bunging it all in the instant pot and leaving it.
Not only was it very nice, the portion I had, mixed with some wholegrain pasta and sprinkled with cheese, the whole lot made eight portions altogether, one for yesterday, one that I dropped on the way from kitchen to freezer (I was so cross with myself) and six that are now snuggled in the freezer for other meals.
It's like my savoury mince mixture - it can be used for all sorts of different meals with various additions so a very useful thing to have.  Counting the oil I used and the chorizo, one and a half syns per portion.  Can't be bad, can it?


Today's plans:
B: waffles, fruit and yogurt; mini yogurt drink
SW:  one heB for the wholewheat flour, one and a half syns for some agave nectar and two syns for the mini yogurt drink

L:  cheesy tomato soup; apple
SW:  I have to check the container (I always write the syns, etc, on the lid before freezing) but I think the tomato soup is free while the cheese will be one heA

D:  steak and kidney, jacket potato and veg; fruit
The steak and kidney will be a M&S can, one of those that needs using up.  One of the veg might very well be frozen runner beans
SW:  two syns for the steak and kidney

S:  easy peelers

Body Magic:  inside exercise; maybe a walking YouTube thing or maybe some salsacise (or even both)

Summary:
one healthy extra A and one B
five and a half syns
the usual eating window of between eleven and seven


7 comments:

  1. Good morning Joy. I think now more than ever your blog is going to be very inspirational for a great many people. Please keep up your great work and keep us all inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Cherie. Thank you for the encouragement. Online interaction is going to be crucial for well being, I think. Ditto for your lovely blog which I so look forward to each day.
      xx

      Delete
  2. There's nothing more frugal than using what you already have. I plan to do the same, and it will be interesting to see how far things stretch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one aspect of frugality, isn't it, even if it sounds a bit lavish. I'm actually finding the challenge fun.
      xx

      Delete
  3. We are all going to be coming up with some very interesting meal combos in the weeks to come! I look forward to reading yours! Hope Dave feels better soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave seems fine again this morning. Just One Of Those Things, I guess. He's being very careful though.
      xx

      Delete
  4. That's so kind, thank you very much.
    xx

    ReplyDelete