Saturday 21 March 2020

Saturday, 21-03-20

Good morning.

The biggie yesterday was a new recipe and a new (to me) ingredient - celeriac.  I found the recipe on Lifeline Online which is the SW site so not accessible to non-members, sorry!

I can't say I was overwhelmed as I prepared the dish.  It didn't look great and I had this feeling that it was going to be either boring or just not very nice.

I couldn't have been more wrong.  OK, I added a LOT more cheese than the recipe said, because I could, I think that might have made all the difference and altogether it was delicious.
It was a recipe for four and I quartered it but it still made enough for two meals so I have carefully wrapped the other half, labelled it and frozen it for another time.  You could use other veg - a layer of mushrooms would be really nice, for example.


Today's menu plans;  a few experiments too but nothing too risky!

B:  leftover waffles (from Thursday) with a fruit yogurt; mini yogurt drink
Rather than add fruit to the mix, I thought I'd cut along the waffles and dip them in a Mullerlight.
SW:  half a heB (the leftover waffles), two syns for the yogurt drink and half a syn for the Mullerlight.

L:  soup mix soup; apple
This is from something someone was talking about in a Facebook group.  I have a bag and a half of soup mix (the full one was in the S of the W basket this week) and well as another kind of soup mix I found at the back of the cupboard yesterday.  Soup mix does take ages to cook and has to be soaked beforehand but I thought that if I zizz some to powder in Thermione, then add any veg/stock/etc, it will cook a lot quicker with all the goodness still there.  Worth giving it a go anyway, I think.  Of course, it will make a smooth soup rather than having all the bits.
SW:  should be free

D:  lasagne, coleslaw; rhubarb and custardy yogurt
It's not a real lasagne, it's a sort of lasagne.  I will use one portion of my savoury mince.  I will cook a sheet of lasagne until it's soft, cut it in half and then layer mince, grated cheese, pasta, finishing off with grated cheese before popping it in the oven until it's bubbly and brown.  It should be nice.  I just love coleslaw with lasagne.
The custardy yogurt is just normal natural yogurt with vanilla and stevia added.  It tastes very like custard.  And I will sweeten the rhubarb with stevia too
SW:  up to two heAs for the cheese and probably one syn for the stevia as I will go over the one tbsp.  Also one syn for some mayo in the coleslaw and one for the cooked mince.

S:  fruit

BM:  not sure.  I have ironing and I might do a bit of gardening.  I'm missing my 'taking the long way' walks out

Summary:
two heAs and half a B
five and a half syns
pretty frugal today which is nice
I'm not going to plan for the eating window every time any more as it's now an established thing and I don't need to focus on it.  Suffice it to say, the usual window will be 8:16 or 9:15 on those very hungry mornings.

8 comments:

  1. I've always avoided celeriac because I read years ago that it tastes of celery (I suppose the clue is in the name) and I really hate celery. So does it? And what is Lifeline Online? When I googled it, it came up with a panic thingy for the elderly....I'm assuming that's not it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smells of celery both when you cut it and when you cook it but I don't think the taste is particularly celery-like. However, if you can't stand celery, best not to try it, I think.
      Lifeline Online is the SW site. I forgot people wouldn't know and will go back and edit my post, thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I love celeriac, it has a great texture. I was reluctant to try it for a long time as I absolutely cannot stand celery, but celeriac is very different.

    When my friend came to visit from Germany she made us celeriac schnitzel, absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing. Do you have a recipe, please?
      xx

      Delete
    2. https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/celeriac-schnitzel-with-mushroom-sauce/

      This is very similar to how my friend made it, no egg replacer needed, the milk and flour was enough to let the breadcrumbs stick. Hope you enjoy it if you give it a go.

      Delete
  3. It was interesting and different and very tasty. I love it when something new to me comes along.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love celeriac especially as mash to top a vegi cottage pie. Husband is not keen so the fact that a whole celeriac will last for ages in the fridge without going 'off' means I can just cut off what I need. Celeriac chips (cooked like SW chips) are interesting too

    ReplyDelete