Friday 16 August 2019

Recipe: curried chickpea cake with tomato sambal

Taken direct from the recipe in the current BBC Good Food Healthy magazine so a bit naughty really.  It's a really good magazine and if you are interested in that sort of thing, I can recommend it.


Ingredients to serve two  (I halved everything)
For the chickpea cake
400g can chickpeas, well drained
1 tbsp medium curry powder  (I used tikka)
1 tsp cumin seeds (I used ground cumin)
2 garlic cloves (I used garlic puree)
1 lemon, zested and juiced
4 eggs
3 tbsp milk
2 tbsp fresh coriander (I used parsley as I dislike leaf coriander)
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (or you could use dried chilli flakes)
1 tbsp rapeseed oil (I used spray oil)

For the sambal
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
10cm length cucumber, chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
3 tbsp chopped coriander (I used parsley)
juice of half a lemon (or from a bottle)

Method.
Into a blender, tip two thirds of the chickpeas, the curry powder, the cumin, garlic, lemon zest and juice, eggs and milk.  Blitz until smooth, then add the remaining chickpeas, coriander and chilli.  Blitz again very, very briefly.
Heat oil in a non stick pan.  Tip in the lix, stir it and leave to cook opver a fairly low heat until set.

Carefully turn it out onto a baking sheet and then slide back to cook the other side for around three minutes (or I stuck it under the grill to finish off the top!).

While that's cooking, mix together all the sambal ingredients.

Turn out the cake onto a plate and pile the sambal on top.

Very easy and very delicious.  I will try it with different spices - cajun, for example - and also with different toppings.  It looks very adaptable.

Apart from the oil, if you don't sub spray oil, everything is SW free and would also work on an SP day.
One tbsp oil would be six syns or three per portion which really isn't a disaster.



2 comments:

  1. This sound tasty. Two questions please ... do you think the chickpea cake will freeze well? Also is it very dry or does it stay reasonably moist? Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't find it dry. I think the eggs help with that.
      It doesn't say if you can freeze it. I expect you can and when I make a patch of smaller ohnes, I am going to.
      xx

      Delete