Wednesday 4 May 2022

Slimming World food haul from Sainsbury's.

 It's been a while since I did one of these and, to be honest, it's way, way from being in any way frugal.  In fact, it was %£**^% expensive but c'est la vie!  I did knowingly go for some more expensive options.

Fruit (mostly)
I have plenty of apples in the fridge and also some blueberries so those two staples weren't needed.  I also already have a watermelon, a couple of peaches and some kiwis.

I'm having Dave and Anna round for dinner on Friday, hence the grapes, and I will probably do a really nice mixed fruit platter to have with our coffee.
Also, I usually finish lunch with fruit and have it to fill a few gaps at other times too.  It won't be wasted.

(The leaves and the radishes should have been in the next photo)


Veg/salad
Again, I still have some in the fridge so there's a few usuals missing.  I get through loads of mushrooms, hence two boxes, and the sweetheart cabbages looked so nice (as well as being great value) that I couldn't resist.  There's also broccoli, baby corn and peppers plus the leaves and radishes above.

With my focus on speed, I'm happy to be getting through so much fruit and veg.

Jars and cans
Yes, that is posh tomatoes you can see at the back.  Ouch, so expensive.  I want to see how much nicer (if at all) they are than the supermarket own or the value ones.
As I enjoyed the lentils I had the yesterday, I bought a couple of tins which, once opened, can be frozen on portions.  They are lovely with curry instead of rice (or as well as, I suppose).  I was glad to see a jar of the superlight mayo (easier to measure out) and the fenugreek is because I want to try some more of the SW curry recipes and fenugreek appears fairly often - I gather it's a bit like mustard seeds (Google tells me).

Meat
The chicken is for Friday night when Dave and Anna are round.  I'll do them all because I always do four portions and there's rarely much left!
The Parma ham is because I rather fancy trying to reproduce what I had last week at Robyn's Nest.  Sheer self indulgence!  Protein on SW if you cut off the fat.
The ham is currently roasting in the oven and will do me for salads, nibbles, and all sorts of other things.  Much better value than buying precut sl;ices and, dare I say it, nicer too.

Odds and ends
The mozzarella is for Friday - half and half with grated cheddar, you get flavour and melting qualities.  I will freeze the rest.
The eggs were another indulgence.  I treated myself to half a dozen Burford Brown eggs, but because I've always wanted to try them.  I had one for breakfast and, yes, it was delicious.
Then there's Mullerlights - can't be without my Mullerlights!
At the front, wholemeal rolls.  I suspect they are a bit big for a healthy extra B but we won't explore that in too much depth, OK?





I did get other stuff  - flowers, some Birthday stuff for Alex on Sunday, some garlic bread (for Friday), a couple of magazines, loo roll, kitchen towel, etc.  I've got pretty much all I need for Friday evening apart from alcohol - I will get that on Friday.  I know me!!

So that's this week's shop.  Loads to keep me and mine fed and happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment