Thursday 26 October 2023

Recipe: savoury hash brown waffles

My recipe is at the end but I am not claiming any creativity here.

This is the original recipe :

Ingredients:
100g grated cheese
2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
2 tbsp snipped chives
1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper

Method
Lightly grease the non-stick coated plates
Preheat the waffle maker
Using 2-3 payers of kitchen towel, firmly squeeze all excess liquid from the potato.  
In a large bowl, mix together the potato mix into each of the non-stick coated cooking plates
Carefully close the lid and cook for approx. 15 mins until crispy and brown.
Tip:  Serve with poached eggs and cooked sausages.


What I did:

I used a medium-ish Maris Piper that, before peeling, was about 220g.  That wasn't quite enough to fill all four compartments so I reckon about 220g AFTER peeling so go for a larger spud.  You need  a potato like Maris or King Edwards, not a waxy potato.

I finely chopped a small onion and softened it in the microwave with a spray of oil

I used 40g strong lighter cheddar.

Salt and pepper, of course, but I remembered the cheese is salty.

My concerns were:

- that 15 mins was too long and it would burn

- that the inside would still be raw - and raw potato is not nice

- that it would stick to the plates and make a right mess.

but 15 mins was perfect for a nice, crunchy outside, the potato was soft and delicious and it came off the plates easily.

The only problem - not a problem really - was that there wasn't quite enough to cover the base plate.  But given that I made pretty much half amounts, that wasn't a problem.

So, my recipe

Ingredients to make four sections (but remember waffle makers differ in size and shape)

Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes enough to give around 200g when peeled, grated and squeezed.

40g strong lighter cheddar (one healthy extra A)

Some finely chopped and microwave softened onion

seasoning of choice - I used salt and pepper

Method.
Preheat the waffle maker
Soften the chopped onion.
Peel and grate the potato and squeeze in a cloth or with kitchen towel to get rid of excess moisture.
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
Spray oil the plates (I am assuming they are non-stick!)
Spoon onto the lower plate, spreading it out evenly.
close the lit and cook as per your machine's instructions for fifteen minutes.  I carefully checked after ten but it was definitely better with fifteen.

While they're cooking, prepare whatever else you are having.

Carefully remove from the plates, cut into sections and serve.  I are two and froze the other two.

And they were delicious.


I'm going to try different seasonings (garlic, perhaps, and nutmeg might be nice), different cheeses or adding things like chopped bacon or chorizo.
Or they would work just as hash browns baked in oven or air fryer or in a pan.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you Joy, I might try these in the air fryer (I haven't got a waffle pan). xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they should be really nice done in the air fryer or in a pan on medium. In fact, I might try that next time and see how it goes. I have a silicon waffle thingy (it looks waffled on one side anyway) that might work in Nellie.
      A good excuse to make them again, don't you think? :-)
      xx

      Delete