Thursday 26 October 2023

Thursday, 26-10-23

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to my maintaining on Slimming World blog where I talk about the meals I enjoy while maintaining my target weight and keeping a healthy balanced diet.

Today sees the start of work to change my garden shed into a garden room with a sheddy bit on the side.  It's a long planned for, hoped for and saved for project so pretty exciting but I am sure the day will bring some challenges, not the least of which is having biscuits in the house for the lads.
Please send 'I-don't-like-biscuit' vibes in my direction, if you have any to spare . . .  ta!
Yesterday's meal photos:

Well, the hash brown waffles were an outstanding success.  I had a couple (half) and the other two are now in the freezer.

I think it is worth posting the recipe as a separate post because I know I will be making these again and again.  I can think of plenty of variations and they would be lovely with baked beans.

The main thing I was concerned about - well, two things, really were:
- will the potato be cooked?  There's nothing worse than not-quite-cooked potato
- will it stick on the waffle plates. 
And the answers are - yes, it was, totally, with a bit of crunch on the outside and no, it didn't stick.

I was out at my lunch time (2:00), at a Everyman cinema watching a film of the live performance of Prince of Egypt with Beth and Alex.  I forgot to take a couple of apples with me so I got a 'small' container of salty popcorn and, shared three ways, and instead of lunch, that shouldn't have done any harm at all.

Ooops.  I was going to cut this wrap pasty in half and display it nicely but it stuck to the baking tray so the underneath isn't terribly pretty and I didn't bother.
The inside is corned beef, softened chopped onion, finely grated cheese and brown sauce, all sort of mashed together - and it was really delicious.  I might try it as a sort of quesadilla type product - lighter on the corned beef and therefore more economical.
I was hungry so I had baked beans and it all went together really well as well as being filling and comforting.

Dessert was a couple of pears.


Today's meal plans:

B:  warm spiced fruit and yogurt
Like I had on Saturday but without the toasted muffin and butter
As I have often said, one of my non-compliant with SW things is that I don't syn cooked fruit which will be from the freezer rather than fresh.
SW:  should be syn free

L:  mushroom and butterbean soup, croutons; fruit
I made this soup a short time ago and popped it in the freezer.  Time to see how well it has frozen!
SW:  the soup is syn free, the croutons will be my healthy extra B

D:  steak, mushrooms, roasted vegetables; fruit/yogurt
I bit of a splash out, I know, but it's likely to be a bit of a stressful day (not in a bad way though) and a nice steak will provide a 'reward' feeling for having coped.  The roasted veg will probably be sweet potato, parsnip, onion and, maybe, carrot.
SW:  should be syn free

Exercise:  unsure but probably plenty of steps

Summary:
no healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
no syns - that's a bit unrealistic really; I'm sure a few will creep in.

For information:
The Slimming World structure:
While following the plan, you can have . . .

Any amount of speed and free food - BUT try to have a third of your plate as speed food as a sub for free food, NOT as well as . . .  Eat to satisfaction, not to stuffed-ness!

Two healthy extra As (calcium) and one healthy extra B (fibre) - details in the SW pack and on the SW web site/app.

Between five and fifteen syns-worth of synned food - again, details in the pack, site and app.  They are a limit to stay within, not a target to hit.

As a target member, I can also have . . .

Another two healthy extras each day
Another fifteen syns up to three times each week
BUT - only if I need/want to.  It's a limit, not a target

. . . with the ultimate aim of not needing to count healthy extras, syns, etc at all but just knowing and eating well instinctively.

2 comments:

  1. Resist the biscuits! You'll have to keep offering them to the workmen (which will also get you in their good books). The hash brown waffle sounds nice. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were lovely and I've posted the recipe.
      Bless them, they are making great inroads into the biscuits already. I will have to get more by Monday! xx

      Delete