Friday 21 August 2020

Friday, 21-08-20 (very long ponder alert)

Good morning.   :-)
Apologies in advance for the length of this post.  Please, do feel free to scroll down past it to today's meal plans at the end. 

The SW weigh in yesterday evening was a little bit disappointing in that yes, I was above the target weight.  However, I was 'in the bubble', which is within three pounds of target (this can be above or below) so I'm more than happy with that.

There could be a number of reasons including:
I was wearing clothes (obviously!) and during lockdown I've not when I weighed
It was an evening weigh, not a first thing in the morning weigh and I know from experience that my weight can fluctuate by three or four pounds through the day, whatever I eat or don't eat.  It just does.
I've started swimming again which is a muscle strengthening exercise, being a resistance activity, so am likely to be building muscle as I lose more podge.  Muscle is heavy but good heavy!

So, really, it was a little disappointing but not frustrating or annoying!

I came home with quite a haul of certificates and shiny stickers gained while on lockdown.
Slimmer of the Week x 5 (more than I thought I had achieved)
Slimmer of the Month x 1
Three Stone Award
Target certificate, shiny sticker, little badge and a book entitled 'Slim for Life'

The book is very useful.  It has loads of advice for staying at target, a twelve week planner for consolidating things and bags of encouragement.  It's quite different from the older one that Mel lent me so I have both resources now.

For now, I will be carrying on with the weight loss strategy because I want to lose a bit more.  In a way, it is a whole new adventure now, and a path I need to make my own.  The book says I could consider having one more healthy extra and a few more syns and that is certainly something I would want to consider when needed, although very rarely do I have anywhere near the syns one can have anyway so I doubt that will be an issue.

So, for now, for the next twelve weeks or so - which takes me nicely to the start of the Christmas Season, more or less (oh, my goodness!!) - this is my ongoing strategy.

1.  I will stick with the Slimming World strategy with my own individual applications (cheats? tweaks?) full time, except for a week on holiday (fingers crossed) in October.
This means two healthy extra As and one B, a maximum of fifteen syns but more likely under ten, as much free speed food as I can manage with the balance being towards vegetables rather than fruit when possible.
2.  I will also check calories, aiming for between 1200 and 1400 each day.  This will provide an extra layer of 'security', so to speak.  Knowledge is power!
3.  I will go for lower carb choices as much as possible but won't go very low carb.  I will eat a variety of these including rice, pasta, couscous, quinoa, bulgar wheat, wholegrain whenever possible because they are more filling, they are better for me and, most of all, I like them!  Contrary to SW guidelines, I will not see these as free foods and will weigh and measure them very carefully.
4.  I've tried ready meals over the last few months as a strategy.  They are, generally, not a patch on my own, home made dishes and, at twice the price, not a frugal choice.  As I enjoy cooking, that's the way to go.  We are so lucky nowadays with such a variety of foods available and so many recipes and ideas freely available online, it would feel wrong not to take advantage of it all.
5.  I now have, built into my week, one hour of personal training and three sessions of swimming or aquacise, each of between thirty and forty minutes so that provides the core of my exercise programme.  I now need to consider what else (if anything) I want to add.  I don't need to, what I am doing is fine, but I might like to.

I aim for losing around half a pound a week.  Yes, that's a slow pace but it's going to be a slow pace now, this is a consolidation time really, not a time for dramatic drops.  At half a pound a week on average, I will have lost another half stone by December which is great.  I will be happy with that.  Any more, I will accept with thankfulness but won't expect.
Just thinking about this gives me a sense of 'power'  It's achievable, realistic and I know I can do it.  It's taken me over three years to get to this point and I have learned many things, including patience.

What are the negatives - or the things I will continue NOT doing.

1.  I will continue to be more or less teetotal.  I like alcoholic drinks such as wine, G&T and so on, but they are a trigger and it is just too easy to aim for one and end up having - er - more.  Lots more!  It's not just about the empty calories here, is it? 
If I don't buy it, I can't drink it; it is as simple as that.
2.  I know my trigger foods and it is sensible to avoid them.  Things like crisps, pastry, salted nuts are a bit of a disaster area for me so no.  Cheese used to be one but I now see cheese as a healthy extra so that's helped a lot.  Chocolate, generally, is not a problem, thankfully.
3.  I won't have a lot of fatty stuff.  This is out of necessity as, post gallbladder, too much fat gives me the runs (sorry about tmi).  Very useful as a controlling 'strategy' though!

I think that's about it.  End of ponder.  I've tried to write out the things that have been swirling around in my head all week and get them into some sort of coherent, cohesive form and it has really helped me.  Thank you for staying with me both through this essay and through the journey so far.

None of the above is any different to what has developed over the last three years or so.  It's as if I have been building a road for myself, brick by brick, stone by stone, and now I am ready to walk along it.  Repairs will be necessary from time to time, there may be a few potholes to fall into, a few obstacles to trip over or climb over, but generally it should be a comfortable walk.
So on I go, easing on down that road.

Come on, ease on down, ease on down the road
Come on, ease on down, ease on down the road
Don't you carry nothing
That might be a load
Come on, ease on down, ease on down, down the road
Pick your left foot up
When your right foot's down
Come on legs keep movin'
Don't you lose no ground
You just keep on keepin'
On the road that you choose
Don't you give up walkin'


Today's food plans:
B:  savoury waffles or pancakes (same batter) with some fried tomatoes
Every morning, I wander out into the garden and come back with a handful of tomatoes.  They have to be used - oh, the hardship!
I find that the savoury pancakes can be a bit lacking in flavour without good seasoning so I will add salt and pepper, garlic and onion granules and maybe some cajun spice too
SW:  one heB for the wholewheat flour, half a syn for 30 mls milk and two syns for a tsp sesame oil 
330 calories

L:  ham salad, coleslaw; apple
I have salad, ham and coleslaw left over from yesterday so waste not, want not.  
SW:  one syn for the mayo in the coleslaw
approx 250 calories

Snack:  one Hi Fi bar
Yes, I fell for these at group yesterday.  It wasn't something I intended to do but . . .
SW:  three and a half syns (could be classed as half a heB)
70 calories

D:  salmon, new potatoes, peas; kvarg
I'll be at Dad's s no certain calories as I don't know how big the salmon is or, indeed, whether he actually has new potatoes in.  We will see.  I can be more certain of SW values though.
SW:  half a syn for the kvarg and one syn for mayo (I love mayo on salmon)
An estimated 500 calories

Body Magic:  none today.

Summary:
one healthy extra B
eight and a half syns

I'll try and keep up the food plans over the weekend and, whether I can or not, I'll be back on Monday.









18 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, first of all congratulations on all the certificates etc - very well deserved! Please don't feel disappointed - you know you did achieve your target weight a couple of weeks ago, and had your class been first thing in the morning then you would most likely have shown target on the scales, even with clothes! You're bound to show a few pounds more in the evening (all of us have fluctuating weights during the day, every day), with clothes, after you've eaten a full days meals, and on different scales. So just rejoice in the knowledge that you're there, you've done it!

    Your strategies for what you will and won't do, going forward, sound really good and sensible.

    Have a lovely weekend....if I were you, I'd even relax things a bit and have a wee celebration with your Dad! I'm not advocating that you do the same though, it's entirely up to you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sooze.
      I think you're right there - an early morning weigh would be a couple of pounds down at the very least. Perhaps 'disappointed' is too strong a term but there was definitely an 'ooohhhhh' in downwards terms. Now there's a baseline and the only way is down!
      Interestingly, I feel perfectly relaxed about Dad's and have done since the visits started after lockdown. I'll see what Dad fancies to eat and go with his flow.

      Thank you so much - you have been so very encouraging and supportive and the lovely comments in here (from you and others) have helped more than I can say. So thank you.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Joy, wow, what a really great read. Well done, well done, well done. (Thinking of the Guides clapping in a circle here). What a beautifully considered and articulated post. I am almost convinced to get back on it and re-start my own road. So pleased for you in your bubble weight. Did you enjoy your congratulations last night? It's a lovely feeling isn't it, though did you find it a bit less so for the socially distanced set up? I wonder if we'd get on if we met, if when times are a bit different you're ever East Sussex way PM me on Facebook and we could meet. Just a thought. Have you considered sending your story to the magazine or website, not sure whether that's one and the same, I think it is, be very proud of yourself. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lyn.
      It's a small world. For many years, Beth, Alex and I used to have out holiday at Streele Farm which is just outside Crowbrough, East Sussex. It's such a lovely part of the world. Maybe, some time, we will go back there, when I win the lottery or premium bonmds!

      The distanced set up was OK, just different. We will get used to it in time.

      I'm not really a good Slimming World girl, I bend too many of the rules really. Also, I publish in here but I'd worry about anything more really.
      I am chuffed though, thank you for all your support and encouragement. xx

      Delete
    2. You have done fabulously, Joy, and shown that SW can still work for someone who b nods the rules a bit. So fabulously well done. XXX

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Eloise. I agree, it can be done as long as the reasons are sound. xx

      Delete
  3. I think I'd be interested in seeing the makeover photos if it was me, but like you I don't think of myself as a good slimming world girl but all the stories have value to others. I completely get that you'd not want to put yourself out there any more than you do. Have a great weekend. We're just off to the allotment, I've applied for another plot (must be mad) and they've offered me one so going to have a look before I accept it. I know it will need work hut if it's full of rambles or fruit trees and bushes which some plots are, I won't want it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it will be a good plot. If not, maybe you can negotiate some preparation before you take it over. Fingers crossed for you.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Joy. If you want to lose another half stone, will you have to set a new target at SW?

    I've been reading back over this blog - it is such a valuable resource for recipes and ideas, and I thank you for continuing to share it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends how low I want to go. I think that what I want is called 'fine tuning' and that's what I will do, in consultation with Jennifer. It won't be as much as half a stone below the current target but will mean that the bottom level of the 'bubble' is nine stone. It's easier to weigh heavier than to weigh lighter anyway - shows and keys in the pockets will do that (grin)!
      I'm really thrilled that you've found my meanderings useful. Thank you for sticking with me and for all your encouragement.
      xx

      Delete
  5. You've made tremendous progress above and beyond through the dreadful lockdown etc. I'm back in the zone and committed to losing the 3lbs to get back to pre lockdown weight and perhaps another 5-7lbs too. Although I'm in the good BMI my additional weight is on my tummy which I hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's age, I think, it just does collect there. No crop tops for us now! And thank you very much. xx

      Delete
  6. I think you have done incredibly well to stick with your goals. So many people have used lockdown as an excuse to simply let things slide. I have found your recipes and meal ideas to be an extremely useful source of inspiration and motivation. Thanks Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind, thank you very much. I'm delighted that my waffling has been helpful and I hope it will continue to be in the future. xx

      Delete
  7. Good heavens.....Two extra A. Choices?!! How much milk can one person drink? I drink one cup of coffee a day and rarely use milk otherwise. Cheese is fine but even I, a lover of cheese, don't want to eat 4 A choices worth of it is every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I have so little that I tend to syn it. Cheese, though. That's a different matter for me entirely! 😁

      Delete
  8. Well done your hard work has paid off and you have transformed your body and health ... a good idea to think about how to maintain your new way of life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would be devastated if I were to go back to where I was. What an awful waste of time and effort that would be. A plan is essential, I think.
      Thank you very much.
      xx

      Delete