Monday 17 August 2020

Monday, 17-08-20

Good morning!
I'm thinking of reducing the calorie report down to just the total as it does make for a number high/ more boring read.  Would that be OK?  Can you let me know in comments if you would rather it carried on as at the moment, please?
I'm definitely continuing with the SW values and calorie totals anyway.

Yesterday's photos:

 This worked really well after swimming.  I added a touch of marmite for more flavour.


 To the right is how the fish pie looked mid construction and below is the finished meal.  I added some sliced courgette to the bottom layer and it was most satisfying, the whole meal.

Instead of Mexican chicken with pinto beans and quinoa, it ended up as Mexican chicken with chickpeas and bulgar rice.  I added three baby corn that were picked down the allotment and, as it was pretty spicy, I also added a dollop of yogurt and it was absolutely gorgeous.  Definitely making that again.  Another plus was that I turned it into a one pot and it was dead easy.  The third plus was that one portion made enough for two for me so half of it is now in the freezer, carefully labelled, for another time.  Win-win-win!




Today's plans:
B:  bacon and tomatoes 
When we were little, Mum used to make what we called B&T, using split tomatoes from the tomato  nursery five doors along.  We loved skipping along for 'two pounds of split tomatoes, please' and skipping back with a full paper bag, knowing that it was B&T for our next meal.  It remains a great favourite, partly because of the memories but mostly because it tastes so good!  The B is now medallions so there's some missing flavour from the fat but it remains delicious with garden tomatoes, whether split or not split!
bacon:  79 cals
tomatoes:  47 cals
olive oil (1 tsp):43 cals
orange:  60 cals
total:  229 cals
SW:  two syns for the oil


L:  spicy bean and tomato soup, dipping flatbread; apple
A throw it all in together soup that contains bits of fridge rubble with odds and ends from the freezer and a bit of allotment produce.  Contains red onion, carrot, courgette, sweet potato, chilli, Cajun spice, garlic, new potato, Marigold stock, peas, corn, mushrooms, red pepper, kidney beans, butter beans and chopped tomatoes.
It made five portions, two for this week and three for the freezer although I might take two of them to Dad's at the weekend for one of our lunches.
soup: 120 cals
flatbread:  113 cals
apple: 55 cals
total: 288 cals
SW:  six syns for the flatbread (it isn't a healthy extra B) and I believe everything in the soup is speed, protein or free foods.

Snack: three babybel and some fruit 
I'm finding this mid-afternoon snack great for booting out any munchies that might make their presence felt.  It also gives me my hit of cheese.
total:  under 200 cals
SW:  one healthy extra A



D:  chilli and protein 'rice', yogurt or kvarg
Using extra lean mince. veg, a few beans and some tomatoes from the garden plus, maybe, some bbq sauce because I love it.  The yogurt is because the chillies I am using (last year's crop) have hotted up as they have dried so it will probably be needed - it's incredible how much pow one little chilli can impart!.
chilli and rice:  200 cals
grated cheddar:  125 cals
yogurt (70g):  50 cals
dessert: around 90 cals
total:  465 cals
SW:  one healthy extra A for the cheese, 

Body Magic:  something from Lindsey's FB page, probably.

Summary:
two healthy extra As
eight syns
1182 calories.  Again, not enough, but it's a full day's food.  I've made the soup, I've made the chilli and I can see that the portions are not small and all in there's more than enough for the day.  Perhaps I will add some bulgar rice or maybe some orzo to the soup.
As I've said before, I don't want to eat stuff just for the sake of eating stuff and also if I have more than just a little fat, it get the runs (sorry, TMI) which is the only after effect of the gallbladder thing.
Oh, well, not to worry.  I am sure things will even out in time and, in the meanwhile, I'm having such a good time making pretty much everything from scratch.

6 comments:

  1. I would be happy to just see the calorie total for each meal - if people want individual breakdowns that is easy for them to find !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate that you take the time to work out the calories but understand completely if you don't want to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to just see the total calories for each meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you are doing is fantastic and helpful but it's just as good with a meal total.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joy, I agree with all the above, we're very lucky to see all you do for your journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone, much appreciated. xx

    ReplyDelete