Tuesday 11 August 2020

Recipe: breakfast buns


The basic recipe:
Ingredients for one portion (four buns):
40g wholemeal SR flour
One egg
Half a pot of Mullerlight yogurt (whatever flavour you fancy and use the other half as a 'side')
Sweetener/ flavourings to taste.
Fruit - not too much.

Method:
Prepare the bun cases or silicon mould (I used a bit of fry light and a pastry brush in my moulds)
Preheat the oven to 180C Fan.
Put the flour, egg and yogurt in a bowl and mix well.
Add flavourings to taste. I used coffee yogurt, coffee essence and blueberries with just a bit of stevia.
Add a splash of water to slacken the batter slightly (or milk would be fine). Add the fruit and stir in.
Ladle the batter into the bun cases or moulds - I found I needed four.
Pop in the oven and bake for fifteen minutes before checking. That was enough for mine.
Allow to cool slightly before diving in.
I felt that I was eating something very 'naughty' and found them extremely filling with the rest of the yogurt as a sort of 'dip'.  A very satisfying meal.
306 calories for the basic buns plus whatever you use for fruit
Bending the SW rules, the wholemeal flour is one healthy extra B and the yogurt is half a syn.  I don't syn cooked fruit but please do if you'd rather.


Then I had a go at making a tropical version (there are four - the fourth one is hiding!)..


Extremely delicious 'tropical' breakfast buns.  For these, I used the basic recipe, the yogurt was 160g Mullerlight coconut with a hint of vanilla (I used 80g for the buns), I added some orange essence, a grating of nutmeg and a small pinch of cinnamon.  The fruit was about 60g Aldi frozen breakfast topper fruit (strawberry, pineapple, mango and peach).  80g is a portion so I tipped the rest and the juice from defrosting into the yogurt (the rest of the Mullerlight).
Oh, I did enjoy them!


Thinking ahead, you could make a Merry Festive version by using mincemeat, Christmas spices (e.g. cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, cloves or mixed spice) with some grated citrus zest, orange yogurt and orange or lemon essence.  I must remember that!

4 comments:

  1. Husband has been hinting about cake, so I think I'll do these, or a variation of. There's a couple of brown speckled bananas to use up so I'll triple the recipe, use the mashed bananas and some walnuts. Thanks Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a go - do let me know how they work out with banana.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Joy they sound absolutely yummy. It terrifies me just how many calories are in cakes and similar goodies though. There's almost a meal worth in one of those buns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All four of them equal a breakfast like waffles or pancakes - that's why I'm going to make them again. I'm fine with under 400 calories for a breakfast like that. Another way to get my heB and some protein. I find them pretty filling too, which is useful.
      xx
      xx

      Delete