Friday 28 August 2020

Recipe: toffee apple breakfast buns



Ingredients to make four buns
40g wholemeal SR flour*
80g zero fat unsweetened Greek yogurt (or equivalent)
one large egg
one tsp stevia (or similar) or to own taste
half tsp cinnamon
one tbsp skinny syrup of the toffee/caramel kind (there's lots of different ones) - I used caramel fudge waffle cone
small eating apple, peeled, cored and grated or very finely chopped.  I eat the skin!

Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 180C fan.
Spray oil four silicon moulds or use bun cases in a muffin tin.

When the oven is up to heat, mix together the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, including the apple, and mix well.
Spoon into the cases; this amount makes four.  If you're using silicon moulds, they need to go on an oven tray.
Pop into the oven and bake for twenty five minutes.  Check they are cooked with a skewer and give them a few more minutes if you think it necessary.
Allow to cook for a short time before devouring them for breakfast.

These buns have a texture that's a cross between bread pudding and cake but they are delicious.

One healthy extra B for the wholemeal flour*
Around 310 calories for them all


*Why do I count 40g wholemeal flour (plain or SR) as a healthy B?
When I first started Slimming World, I made my own bread.  I knew that 40g of flour ended up as pretty much 60g of bread.  I discussed this with my consultant and she agreed that I could count 60g of my own bread as a healthy extra B.
My reasoning is that it is a healthy extra when it's in bread so it can jolly well be a healthy extra in other things too - including my waffles, pancakes and breakfast buns (which all use much the same recipe).
The calories are the same!

Why don't I syn cooked fruit (like the grated apples)?
Because I think it is plain silly, that's why!
Ditto for synning mashed banana, pureed fruit and so on.  Why make life difficult?

But if you are not happy about either of these, please feel free to syn them. 


4 comments:

  1. Sense prevails! They sound lovely. Where do you get the syrup, Joy? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it in Dunelm but Amazon does them and here's a link to their website that has a shop.
    https://skinnymixes.co.uk/
    Places like Home Bargains and the like often have that sort of item too.
    The bottles are huge and last a long time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And (after looking at the prices in their online shop and on Amazon) they are around half the price in Dunelm. Worth looking around any cheap food shops. xx

      Delete
    2. We don't have a Dunelm here, but do have Home Bargains and B&M. I never think to look in their food sections, will have a browse next time we go. Thanks Joy xx

      Delete