Sunday 30 August 2020

Sunday, 30-08-20

Good morning.

A web site I thoroughly recommend both for good recipes and for thriftiness is Thrifty Lesley.  She's been creating frugally delicious recipes, meal plans, weekly plans, etc, for many years now and the site is a treasure chest for anyone looking to make better use of their food budget.

She recently posted a recipe for, and I quote, Lesley's Caramelised Red Onion Chutney Marmalade.  The last two words are because she couldn't decide whether it was a chutney or a marmalade!
Anyway, it's a very easy recipe and I made a half quantity yesterday, caloried it all out and it comes to around 18 calories for a ten gram portion.  I've had a go at synning it too; the red onion is a speed food but pretty much all the rest needs to be worked out so I took out the free items, did the maths again and it comes to half a syn per ten grams.

If you're interested, here's the recipe.
https://thriftylesley.com/lesleys-red-onion-chutney-marmalade/

Yesterday's photos:

Just look at this!  I knew I needed a cooked breakfast and I enjoyed it so much.
I did the potatoes and the sausage together in the actifry with a bit of spray oil and some cajun spice.  The rest was done in a pan with a bit more spray oil.
So delicious, so filling and extremely satisfying.

Just as well really because then it all went a bit oopsy daisy.
While shopping, I bought the Sainsbury's Magazine which came with a freebie.  A bar of chocolate, no less, and very nice it was too.  After that, I really didn't fancy any lunch, even though the chicken was cooking, nor did I want the cheese for the afternoon snack.  I reckon it's pretty much evens-stephens as far as calories are concerned.  Nutrition, of course, is another matter entirely but never mind.  These things happen and I enjoyed the chocolate very much indeed.

The pizza slices for dinner were absolutely delicious.  I haven't had proper pizza for a while.  The other three wedges are wrapped, labelled and in the freezer for another time.  I didn't have much salad and no dressing so, despite the chocolate, I am pretty sure the calories have worked out fine for the day.



Today's food plans:

B:  bacon and tomatoes
Just because I love it and have loads of tomatoes to use up
SW:  four syns for some oil to cook the tomatoes
210 calories

L:  cheesy chicken on toast, tomatoes; apples
Because I had cooked but not used the tandoori chicken thigh, it needed using so I have made some chicken pate.  I zizzed up the (very tender) thigh with one Laughing Cow light triangle, some lemon juice, garlic and onion granules, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard and it's made loads, enough for two portions.  Today I will toast some wholemeal bread, spread on half of the pate, sprinkle grated cheese on top and melt it under the grill.  With some garden tomatoes, it should be delicious.
What shall I do with tomorrow's portion, I wonder?
SW:  one healthy extra A and one B
around 500 calories

Snack:  three babybel lights
SW:  one healthy extra A
126 calories

D:  Mexican chicken stew, sprouts; kvarg
The stew is from the freezer and the sprouts are because I saw them in Sainsbury's and I love sprouts so couldn't resist, even though it is rather early in the season.  Goodness knows if they will actually go together but fingers crossed!
SW:  half a syn for the kvarg, the rest is free
roughly 380 calories

Body Magic:  if the weather is anything like today's weather, I'm staying in!

Summary:
two healthy extra As and one healthy extra B
1216 calories

2 comments: