Saturday 16 July 2022

Recipe: low fat blueberry scones

 I take absolutely no credit for this recipe.  I found it here, while I was searching.

https://www.101cookingfortwo.com/zero-fat-blueberry-scones/

This is just how I made them.

WARNING FOR SW-ers. 
This is a bit of a cheat/tweak.  See below the recipe for why.


Blueberry scones

Ingredients to make four scones (two portions)

80g wholemeal self raising flour (must be wholemeal to justify it being a healthy B)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp bicarb
1 tbsp Sugarly (or other granular sweetener)
110g (ish) Fage 5% Greek yogurt
40g small blueberries
pinch of salt
splash of vanilla essence to taste

I also used a small, straight sided mini sponge tin - the kind that you use to make those mini Victoria sponges (see photo below).  You could use a bun tin or just put them on a baking sheet - they will spread rather than rise if the sides aren't contained though.

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180C fan.  spray four sections of the tin with oil, spread it round with a pasty brush and then flour each segment, tipping away the excess.

Place all the ingredients apart from the blueberries i a bowl and mix together, first with a spoon and then with dampened hands.  I really recommend dampening your hands: it stops the dough sticking.

Add the blueberries and gently fold them in until they are well distributed.

Weigh the dough and divide into four.

Shape each quarter and press into the tin - like this.  
(see the straight sides)
Sprinkle a bit more Sugarly over each one.


Pop into the oven for twenty five minutes, then turn off the heat and give them another five minutes.

Remove them from the oven, give them a few minutes and then tip them out, cooling them in a wire rack or equivalent.




Serve with whatever you want.  My preference is 5% Greek yogurt and fresh strawberries and raspberries.


Values:
SW:  each scone is half a healthy extra B (see below for why and also for why I don't syn the blueberries) and half a syn (for the 5% yogurt).  

Calories:  Nutracheck tells me that each scone is 93 calories.

Once cool, these can be wrapped and frozen.


Comments/warnings:

I should think these would be very flexible.  You could add different fruit, different flavourings, spices, etc.  I rather fancy trying apple and cinnamon at some point.  

Just remember that toppings would probably be extra syns/calories unless you used 0% yogurt and speed/free fruit

You are supposed to syn sweeteners if it is one tbsp or more.  As each scone has much less than that, no problem.

I flatly refuse to syn speed/free fruit, just because a bit of heat has been applied - one of SWs sillier rules, I reckon.

I used 5% yogurt because of the 5%  I though it might make the scone less dry.  If you use 0%, take off the half syn and the calories will be a little bit lower too.

I guess you could cook them in a muffin tin and call them muffins instead of scones.  :-)

Now - the flour:
When I first joined SW, I made my own bread.  I checked with my consultant and she said it would be fine to count the wholemeal flour as a healthy extra B - same calories, same fibre, etc.  From there, it is a small step to saying that one could count any 40g wholemeal flour as a healthy extra B so that is what I do.  I count it as a B for batter products too - pancakes, waffles, etc, even Yorkshire puddings.
However - baker beware - this is not official!




No comments:

Post a Comment