Tuesday 26 July 2022

Tuesday, 26-07-22

 Morning, everyone!

I really enjoyed the tandoori chicken for lunch yesterday so I'm going to look for a likely recipe.  I know it should be cooked in a tandoor, a clay oven, but I wonder if I could use either my Cobb or maybe my little tagine instead or, indeed, my Ninja.
Hmm - after all, I do have plenty of single spices, etc.  Must do a search and have a ponder.

Any suggestions, recipes, ideas?
Yesterday's meals:

A perfect Slimming World breakfast.  Lots of speed and protein with not a hint of visible fat.
And those tomatoes were utterly delicious - I'm living the summer dream again!
Lunch was so tasty.  The tandoori chicken was a little dry but the mint yogurt sauce worked really, really well.  I used some Greek yogurt for half a syn, about half a tsp mint sauce (so little as to not count), some lemon juice, garlic granules and cumin.  So delicious and I'm definitely making that often.  It was a but 'thick' but I gather if you blend yogurt, it goes thin and runny so I will give that a go.

I really don't care for the zero fat dressings you can buy.  They're nasty and gloopy.  But my mustard and nectar dressing is lovely and now I have another one I can use too.

For dessert, I had some rather tatty pieces of fruit - a manky pear, a couple of plums and a couple of apricots - that I chopped up and removed the nasty bits from.  I added some chopped melon and a dollop of 0% yogurt and it was good.

In the end, I didn't do any extra veg to go with the stroganoff as it had onion, red pepper and mushroom (the pepper was my own addition).
It was gorgeous.  Such a good, meaty flavour, quite spicy but I guess it would be less so if I had used double cream and the right amount rather than 5% yogurt and less than it said (because I added some water to actually cook the mix as yogurt would have split).
I don't know exactly how many syns because of all the changes but it would be a lot less than making the original recipe would be.
I just paired it with a little bit of rice left from Sunday evening and I will DEFINITELY be getting it again - another Simply Cook success.

As I only halved it before adding the yogurt to one half, the other half will freeze so that is what I am doing.

The meals were very healthy but, sadly, there was a whole lot of picking going on yesterday, naughty me.  I need to plan for several days ahead, I think, so I know where I am.
Also, I'm reinstating the restricted eating (unless it simply does not work) which has gone by the board recently for various reasons.

Steps were just under 11,000, so that was good.

Today's plans:

B:  fruit and yogurt
After a visit to the local PYO yesterday, I have plenty of strawberries and raspberries and I will add blueberries and blackberries to the mix for colour contrast and variety.
SW:  one and a half syns for 100g 5% Greek yogurt

L:  cheese and tomato toasted thin (maybe a crimpie), mixed salad; fruit
I'll use the one kind of thin that counts as a healthy extra B.
SW:  one healthy extra A, one healthy extra B, one and a half syns for some of my mustard dressing.

D:  murgh kari, tomato, cucumber and onion salad with minty yogurt dressing; fruit or yogurt
One of the Simply Cook meals made last week and two portions frozen - this is one of them and all I have to do is add some yogurt.
If you read my other blog, 'Diary of a (retired) teacher', you will see that I have plenty of cucumber and tomatoes, so a nice salad will work well.  I'll make the minty dressing again but this time add a bit of chilli of a gentle kick.
SW:  the curry is three syns, the yogurt will be one syn (unless I use 0%) and the minty dressing will definitely be free as I will use 0% in that.  A Mullerlight will be half a syn.

E:  Groove aerobics today

Summary:
one healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
seven and a half syns


6 comments:

  1. BBC Good Food has a tandoori chicken recipe that i have used very successfully, though I halve the recipe rather than doing it for 8 ! You could successfullyuse your mini bbq :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Jane, I will whizz right over and take a look. Thanks. xx

      Delete
  2. https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/30/2020/08/recipe-image-legacy-id-871507_11-edaf531.jpg?resize=960,872?quality=90&resize=750,681

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've printed it off, it looks brilliant, many thanks. xx

      Delete
  3. When I did the Indian cookery course the tandoori chicken was cooked using the grill of an oven to replicate to tandoor. The chicken is placed on the rack in the grill pan as near to the element at the top as possible and the temperature is turned up to the max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know, thanks, Eileen. xx

      Delete